• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fr499y

Guide to stubbying an exhaust!

How to stubby an exhaust

What you will need:-

• Exhaust ready to stubby

• Jubilee clips ( aka hose clips, sizes that are big enough to go round your can so around 110mm )

• Masking tape

• Dremel or SHARP hack saw

• Stainless steel rivets

• Rivet gun

• Drill

• Drill bits ( just bigger than the center of the rivets )

How To:-

First off try to remember why your cutting the can. If your after a bit more power down low, then leave the can full length. Longer can = Power down low, Shorter can = Power top end. If your after more sound, better look or a little more top end ( or more than one of them ) then carry on. So here we go. 400mm can is what i started with ( one of my own anyway Very Happy ) Looks a bit like this.

Take the rocket launcher your planning on cutting down and mask it off. This is where the brain comes into its own. If the exhaust is not damaged but you want to stubby it, try and keep the size around 300mm for the best of both worlds ( will be nice sound at low revs, not too loud but loud enough to be heard, yet scream its tits off at top end ) plus at that length you can still get away with a baffle without it running like a bag of shit if need be Laughing So after masking the can off you should have something that looks like this.

Now comes the good bit!

Grab your drill, and slowly drill the centre of the rivets out till the head separates from the rivet itself. Do this to all of the rivets on one side of the can only! ( i recommend the INLET side of the can as this can be hidden easier if you poop it up a bit Wink )

Once all the heads are off the rivets, pull the cap off but take care. You should now end up with a can in 2 or possibly 3 pieces. usually the end cap will come off leaving the perforated tube still attached to the other end of the can with the packing etc still in place. If this is the case then the jobs just got easier!

Where you placed the tape in first step, put 2 jubilee clips over it but leave a gap big enough to get a hacksaw/dremel in. This is the easiest way to get a crisp, clean cut without damaging the can ( hence the tape under the clips Wink )

Cut between the clips , turning the can around to make it easier as you cut through. Once done, tape the end of the can where you just cut and mark holes ready to drill for the rivets. Make these holes the same size as the rivets your using so there a good tight fit with less chance of blowing. Line it all up, wack the rivets in and you should end up with a nice stubby can!

Try to keep the sizes to the nearest 50mm. So 250mm, 300mm, 350mm, 400mm. I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than 250mm unless you want to make more enemies than friends. If anyone gets stuck feel free to ask and i will try to explain it in proper English and not my dodgy version of the language!! And remember, stubby can will loose low end but possibly gain a bit up top! If the can is damaged to the extent that you end up with a can smaller than 250mm then buy a new sleeve and packing if needed and start from there!

Oh and remember stainless cans are pretty soft, so better to cut them with a dremel to avoid damaging them

@fr499y wrote:
Oh and remember stainless cans are pretty soft, so better to cut them with a dremel to avoid damaging them
im luckey as we have a 14 " cut of saw at work , so its easy for me take's min's thumbs

Thanks for taking the time to post this im sure it will help folk thumbsthumbs

tell ya the truth chad, i didnt cut that can Wink i cut my other one i made. That full length one is actually for sale pretty cheap Wink

Great write up, particularly like the idea of using the 2 jubilee straps as a guide to cutting! thumbsthumbs