Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skikman

broken pilot jet

i got an old yamaha sr250 going but it was backfiring through the exhaust when i let the throttle off.i took off the carb to have a look and noticed the pilot jet head is wrecked or broke off inside the tube[if you know what i mean]. i cant get it out.anyone know a trick of how i could get it out without breaking the tube.

Not to sure m8 but can u not drop a very small drill through it without touching the sides. Huh

@haveugot1 wrote:
Not to sure m8 but can u not drop a very small drill through it without touching the sides. Huh
maybe but jet with a big hole will still be in there

If there only soft could u not drive a flat screwdriver into it and hope it screws out Huh

It may be that the jets ok not blocked the backfiring could be that the engine sat for ages with the exhaust valve open and now its not seating properly after its opened and closed a few times it might reseat it self.
when a single cylinder bike is stood for a long time its best to crank it over so that it's on the compresion stroke and that both valves are in the closed position it helps to keep the valves seated.My Norton dose it but after a few miles it sorts it self out.just a thought........

@XS1100 wrote:
It may be that the jets ok not blocked the backfiring could be that the engine sat for ages with the exhaust valve open and now its not seating properly after its opened and closed a few times it might reseat it self.
when a single cylinder bike is stood for a long time its best to crank it over so that it's on the compresion stroke and that both valves are in the closed position it helps to keep the valves seated.My Norton dose it but after a few miles it sorts it self out.just a thought........

salutethumbs

Trebor had this on the Bandit from what i recall , done a drill out and retap , but not for the faint hearted , thumbs as said might not be the jet

@XS1100 wrote:
the hole in the jet looks a bit big for me,thats what makes me think it might be that.but i'll take her down the road a couple of mile and see what happens. hope there's no cops about it has'nt been taxed for 12 years.

@skikman wrote:
don't think you can get them small enough.im trying to post pics but cant figure out how

/t118-step-by-step-how-to-post-pics-using-photobucket

Try and avoid drilling the jet out of the emulsion tube as the stuff is called die cast and it cracks easily (cheap form of ally casting) Use an Easy Out (as in photo from previous post). You should get small enough ones from Screwfix or Machine Mart. A set of these are always handy

TheBiker46 wrote:
Try and avoid drilling the jet out of the emulsion tube as the stuff is called die cast and it cracks easily (cheap form of ally casting) Use an Easy Out (as in photo from previous post). You should get small enough ones from Screwfix or Machine Mart. A set of these are always handy
i got scared off taking it out and checked the exhaust gasket.the guy before had just put a gasket over the old one.i know now why,it was a c nt to get out.but after fitting a new one its fine no backfire.but i will have to get the jet out at some stage so thanks for the help everyone thumbs