Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

Big problems with my internet connection(aol)

keep losing my internet , my set up has been for years , desk top upstairs connected right in to the netgear router, then the 2 lap tops wireless, Thursday nite had not internet, got home to nite still none ,so rang aol they done a few test , and said they are sending a engineer out on Tuesday, I have managed to get the laptops working (on and off) to do this i have to take the desktop connection out the router, I think its either the router or the BT cables out side ,Also sometimes i dont get some pictures just a red X in there place , i also think this is connected angry

Can't you get Virgin down your way mate? It's blindingly quick & extremely stable. Just had a mail from them to tell me they're upping my speed in the summer at no extra cost. Very Happy

FWIW Dave I had to replace the router Xmas before last, it's not uncommon for them to start getting temperamental with age. Not alone in that I suppose. Laughing

FWIW Dave I had to replace the router Xmas before last, it's not uncommon for them to start getting temperamental with age. Not alone in that I suppose. Laughing
I do think its that or the bt cables outside , but the aol engineer is Free so see what he says

i had hassle with water in the line a couple years back they traced it to a junction box and changed all the wiring had no probs since thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
i use BT never had a problem,hope you get sorted Dave Sad

we have, crap connection. also hub has gone tits up and plays up yet the wont replace and its 4 years old! cheek

I think all the cables are underground round there Dave might be fibre optic should be lightening fast.I would bin that netgear router and dob over Maplins in the morning.

@XS1100 wrote:
I think all the cables are underground round there Dave might be fibre optic should be lightening fast.I would bin that netgear router and dob over Maplins in the morning.
they are under ground , but still the old stuff and they are falling to bits, What router would you go for ? and are the easy to set up ?

I got a Belkin router for £25 from PC World and it's been great. Maplins will have summat decent I'll be bound, but Ebuyer will be cheapest. thumbs

I got a Belkin router for £25 from PC World and it's been great. Maplins will have summat decent I'll be bound, but Ebuyer will be cheapest. thumbs
and are they easy to set up Alan ?

@Davehutch wrote:

Yes mate, the Belkin connects to the net & pretty much walks you through it. Dead easy whichever you go for though I'd say. Smile

@Davehutch wrote:

Yes mate, the Belkin connects to the net & pretty much walks you through it. Dead easy whichever you go for though I'd say. Smile
cheers m8 thumbs

I think that depends on how many ports there are Dave if you get stuck shout I will dob over and really screw things up thumbs

i used to use aol m8 never really had a prob with them but just switched to sky cos it was cheaper lol but any pc probs giz a shout im a techy m8

been away for the weekend got back and went maplins got a new router and filter still no bloody good angry rang bt and they say the line is ok , so wait for aol engineer to come out Tuesday confused

@Davehutch wrote:
been away for the weekend got back and went maplins got a new router and filter still no bloody good angry rang bt and they say the line is ok , so wait for aol engineer to come out Tuesday confused
sods law that dave,I find a lump hammer is very usefull when it comes to computers lol!

@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
sods law that dave,I find a lump hammer is very usefull when it comes to computers lol!
I could throw the censored thing through the window the way its going , got a few thing happening at the mo. and dont think it take much for me to explode at he mo angry

@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
I could throw the censored thing through the window the way its going , got a few thing happening at the mo. and dont think it take much for me to explode at he mo angry
theres nothing worse than computer problems,on top of other problems hope ya get it sorted thumbs

Yeah they piss you off m8, my last lap top got me fist through the screen not to the amusment of our lass as it was hers, cost me a lot a sucking up and a new lap top. SadEmbarassed

@haveugot1 wrote:
Yeah they piss you off m8, my last lap top got me fist through the screen not to the amusment of our lass as it was hers, cost me a lot a sucking up and a new lap top. SadEmbarassed
I done that to my last one , not big and not clever Embarassed I do try not let things get me like that now , but its hard sometimes No

I know how you feel m8, i give mine to a friend now he nows how to sort them out, which is good for my pocket Cool

@Davehutch wrote:
@haveugot1 wrote:
I done that to my last one , not big and not clever Embarassed I do try not let things get me like that now , but its hard sometimes No
know what ya mean dave,Im on a short fuse 24/7

@Davehutch wrote:
this isnt really my pc or lap top its the bloody internet service/provider thing
Im sure the engineer will sort it dave thumbs

Have you looked into changing providers dave, i was with virgin but changed to sky for the tv but virgin is fookin good broadband thumbs

@haveugot1 wrote:
Have you looked into changing providers dave, i was with virgin but changed to sky for the tv but virgin is fookin good broadband thumbs
its the first time i have had problems, I still think its to do with the Bt line outside ,but we will see what the aol chap says on Tuesday thumbs

what I can work out is that I am not reciving much juice , thats why my desktop wont connect to the internet at all because that takes alot with the cable plugged in , if I only have one laptop wireless connected it works in a fashion, but if mel trys to connect with hers we lose it again, And i think thats why the router internet port light keeps flashing orange to say it only reciving low Mpbs

sounds like here. i always have half connection cos mums always playing on the iphone, but is dad goes on big lapto on ebay like he does from time to time, i constantly loose signal. our issue is hubs on it way out

cant get a internet connection at all with my new router I have brought, I think its because the new one is more powerful and its not receiving enough power to keep a connection

@Davehutch wrote:
what I can work out is that I am not reciving much juice , thats why my desktop wont connect to the internet at all because that takes alot with the cable plugged in , if I only have one laptop wireless connected it works in a fashion, but if mel trys to connect with hers we lose it again, And i think thats why the router internet port light keeps flashing orange to say it only reciving low Mpbs

sounds like here. i always have half connection cos mums always playing on the iphone, but is dad goes on big lapto on ebay like he does from time to time, i constantly loose signal. our issue is hubs on it way out

This was happerning with me a couple of weeks ago on the virgin, i have wireless and a copper network installed, when anyone was on the wireless with iphone or laptop it kept on dropping out, when on the copper it was slow as f***k, i have the xl broardband with virgin it lasted about 4 days then all of a sudden it was back to normal.

http://www.speedtest.net run a speed test, work out what you should be getting and see what you are getting... if its "Upto 8MB" broadband, expect 5/6mb anymore is a bonus, if thats ok do a check in the evening, if still comes out ok, it might be down to your router Very Happy

@fr499y wrote:
http://www.speedtest.net run a speed test, work out what you should be getting and see what you are getting... if its "Upto 8MB" broadband, expect 5/6mb anymore is a bonus, if thats ok do a check in the evening, if still comes out ok, it might be down to your router Very Happy
just done it

download 10.50 mbps
upload o.38 mbps confused

and what speed are you supposed to be getting with your broadband? 10mb?

Oh ye forgot to mention, this can screw it up so might want to try what they call "Rebuilding AOL adapter"

XP
here

Vista/7
here

@fr499y wrote:
and what speed are you supposed to be getting with your broadband? 10mb?

Oh ye forgot to mention, this can screw it up so might want to try what they call "Rebuilding AOL adapter"

XP
here

Vista/7
here
i dont know what I am suppose to get matt Embarassed

its to rebuild the adapter settings ( some shit the AOL software installs ) and it can affect your connection. if your on windows 7 use the 7 link, if your running windows XP use the xp link =]

If they say theres no problem or its fixed, jot down when they came out, how long ya had the problem for etc Wink as when it happens again get some compensation back.. Tell them you need it to run your business and its landing you in the shit when it goes down Wink

@fr499y wrote:

Done this speed test on my mobile this was the results

Test Date: Jan 16, 2012 9:33:41 am
Connection Type: Hspa
Server: London
Download: 1144 kbps
Upload: 418 kbps
Ping: 95 ms

Gonna now do it from my mobile but through the wireless connection and lets see what the difference is

Test Date: Jan 16, 2012 9:45:41 am
Connection Type: Wifi
Server: London
Download: 17681 kbps
Upload: 1959 kbps
Ping: 27 ms

Here you go what do you think f499y any good Very Happy