Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iano

chains

been reading about riders who thoroughly clean their bike chains, isn't it good enough just to keep it well oiled and tensioned as per manual, not talking about a performance bike here.

Dare I admit to owning an MZ in the past, there done it - terrible boneshaker but the chain was enclosed, fantastic, virtually no worries with that.

I am a big believer in keeping a modern chain clean and using dry lube

"as modern chains have "o" "x" rings which holds the lubrication in the rollers, the only friction you have to stop is that between the rollers and the sprockets , and i think "dry lube" does that well with out using messy lube or oil that attracts grit and turns it in to a grinding paste "

ITCHY wrote:
Chads told us all about your dry lube Dave hide
bet that chafes rich LaughingLaughing

@Davehutch wrote:
I am a big believer in keeping a modern chain clean and using dry lube

"as modern chains have "o" "x" rings which holds the lubrication in the rollers, the only friction you have to stop is that between the rollers and the sprockets , and i think "dry lube" does that well with out using messy lube or oil that attracts grit and turns it in to a grinding paste "

agreethumbs

A mate on the RF forum , just had his chain snap after 10,000 miles he did stay on the bike but oboy what a mess need's new water pump , cluch cover and push rod seal's and after all this we still don't no if the box will be ok , came up to see me the day before , so all please make sure you keep this looking good , his had snap on a pin in the middle of the chain , very lucky his did not come of as this could have been very much worse , affraidaffraid

@Iano wrote:
been reading about riders who thoroughly clean their bike chains, isn't it good enough just to keep it well oiled and tensioned as per manual, not talking about a performance bike here.

But the lube, whether oil, wax or the 'dry' stuff all attract dirt and grit and giving the chain a regular clean won't hurt. I clean mine fairly regularly these days, but I will admit to only cleaning the chain thee times in 40,000 miles on an old ZZR.

@Iano wrote:
Dare I admit to owning an MZ in the past
Don't see why not, I've had one thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
Dry lube for me too..no mess thumbs

Just cleaned mine stue as the dry lube had made the chain stiff, is it true u only put it on when the chain is hot scratch

@haveugot1 wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

Just cleaned mine stue as the dry lube had made the chain stiff, is it true u only put it on when the chain is hot scratch
Me personally lube it after about 5 mins on me paddock stand...heres my chain 7000 miles in and still looks new, ive always cleaned mine every other month thumbs

@haveugot1 wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

it doesn't matter with dry lube , and the only way a chain will get stiff is by lack of lube , if it rains or you wash your bike, dry lube needs re-applying