Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bladerunner

The joys of Ducati ownership

Last sunday i was out on my freshly serviced Ducati and after i passed through Matlock Bath (which took about half an hour because of the traffic) I was sat at the lights at Cromford waiting to turn right towards Carsington water and the engine temperature is bouncing off the censored sky, I noticed a funny sort of tizzy kind of sound when i blipped the throttle.thought it might just be because it was so hot and when it cooled down it dissapeared but when it got hot it was back again so today i took it in to my "local" ducati dealer in lincoln about 50 miles away and he diagnosed a knackered camshaft pulley.seems like its a common problem, they make them out of plastic these days and if i hadnt caught it I might have ended up grenading my motor,spreading it allover the road.sum total of £130 i could have done without spending.

That sounds like you were lucky then Shocked I love Ducati's but ive never owned one and dont think i ever will purely because of there reliability issue's and shocking service price's hide ile stick with japs, not one has ever let me down banana

@Stue11 wrote:
That sounds like you were lucky then Shocked I love Ducati's but ive never owned one and dont think i ever will purely because of there reliability issue's and shocking service price's hide ile stick with japs, not one has ever let me down banana

agree I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Stu here. I wouldn't dis anyone's bike and they certainly look the business. I can remember a few years ago some poor bloke I knew had one and it seemed like every time he tried to ride the beast something went wrong, up until the clutch unwound it's self and things became terminal. Bloody lucky you caught it before any piston/valve interfacing occurred though. Perhaps I'll have one when I'm rich, all donations to.... thumbs

IF i had the cash then i would love a Ducati 1198 one day when the kids have gone , but until that day will make do with what i have . thumbsthumbs

to be honest the cost of servicing is about the same as a jap litre bike at a main dealer.my last service included valve clearances,timing belts,a new relay that is a known problem even though mine was still ok,and i also had a front sprocket guard fitted that protects the engine case if the chain breaks. the total was £480,I remember back in 2001 i had a service and valve clearances done on a ZX12r and that cost me £540.the big problem is you have to go to the main dealers for servicing whereas for jap bikes anybody can do it for £150.Reliability isnt such an issue these days either,they used to have a reputation for bad electrics but not any more.the breakdown of the service costs are £170 service,£200 valve clearances,£80 timing belts,£20 sprocket guard and £10 for the usual sundries.

youd think with the price of a ducati they could afford to make the internals out of something more substantial,they'd probs say its a weight saving thing,pleased you got it sorted m8 thumbs

sounds like you was lucky mate,the joys of owning such a machine

no different from owning a top end of the market car in my eyes its a brand your buying

and I bet theres alot out there would own one if funds allowed,I know I would thumbs

dead right lee, like harley and bmw ownership youre buying into the brand,and i know which one id prefer Very Happy

@dick65 wrote:
dead right lee, like harley and bmw ownership youre buying into the brand,and i know which one id prefer Very Happy

funny cause i would have the harley :| XR1200

well i decided to get all 4 pulleys changed to be on the safe side,might cost a few quid but it would be a lot more expensive if one went and knowing my luck if i only changed one you could bet your life on another going within a few weeks.Over the years ive owned all sorts of jap bikes from all four manufacturers ranging from a CG125 to a ZX 12r and i can honestly say none of them made me as proud to own as the Ducati does.before i bought it i was considering another Fireblade,the one that looks like its been punched on the nose,but i wouldnt get the same feeling every time i open the garage door.I could sit and look at my Ducati for hours but its much more fun to ride it.yes its uncomfortable,hard on the wrists and shakes like a dog sh**ing razor blades around town but thats not what its made for,get it out on an open road and you soon realise what all the fuss is about.It was once said that true happines doesnt come from having what you want but from wanting what you have.

@fr499y wrote:
@dick65 wrote:

funny cause i would have the harley :| XR1200
I once owned a harley hide but in my defence I think the doctor gave me the wrong pills confused

well i decided to get all 4 pulleys changed to be on the safe side,might cost a few quid but it would be a lot more expensive if one went and knowing my luck if i only changed one you could bet your life on another going within a few weeks.Over the years ive owned all sorts of jap bikes from all four manufacturers ranging from a CG125 to a ZX 12r and i can honestly say none of them made me as proud to own as the Ducati does.before i bought it i was considering another Fireblade,the one that looks like its been punched on the nose,but i wouldnt get the same feeling every time i open the garage door.I could sit and look at my Ducati for hours but its much more fun to ride it.yes its uncomfortable,hard on the wrists and shakes like a dog sh**ing razor blades around town but thats not what its made for,get it out on an open road and you soon realise what all the fuss is about.It was once said that true happines doesnt come from having what you want but from wanting what you have.

you do right haveing it all done thumbs

yep thats the right thing to do m8,not worth the risk thumbsthumbs

took the bike in this morning,thought i wouldnt risk riding it so i took it on the trailer.Hooked trailer up this morning and got no indicators or brake lights,had a look round the obvious like bulbs,plug but couldnt see anything so i started taking the trim off from inside the boot to find a big bundle of unconnected wires,what i cant understand is the lights worked fine up till today and i havent touched anything.so i had to risk driving to Lincoln with no lights,got about 20 miles into the journey when one of the trailer tyres blew out,and i mean blew it ripped the tread away from the sidewall about 3/4 of the way round.luckily i had a spare wheel,dont always take one but this time the Mrs asked me if i wanted it putting in the boot.think i might have a beer tonight to steady the old nerves.

took the bike in this morning,thought i wouldnt risk riding it so i took it on the trailer.Hooked trailer up this morning and got no indicators or brake lights,had a look round the obvious like bulbs,plug but couldnt see anything so i started taking the trim off from inside the boot to find a big bundle of unconnected wires,what i cant understand is the lights worked fine up till today and i havent touched anything.so i had to risk driving to Lincoln with no lights,got about 20 miles into the journey when one of the trailer tyres blew out,and i mean blew it ripped the tread away from the sidewall about 3/4 of the way round.luckily i had a spare wheel,dont always take one but this time the Mrs asked me if i wanted it putting in the boot.think i might have a beer tonight to steady the old nerves.
ShockedShocked have several beers ya was lucky