Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jimmywiz

Life of a chain - its a tuff one

right - the previous owner said that i need to get a new cain and sprockets - but they dont look that bad - whats the best way to measure how long a chain has left in it

check the sprocket teeth for hooking, check the chain for tight spots, check if you can pull the chain off the back of the reat sprocket more than 5 mm, any of the above and its goosed. thumbs

check the sprocket teeth for hooking, check the chain for tight spots, check if you can pull the chain off the back of the reat sprocket more than 5 mm, any of the above and its goosed. thumbs

What do you mean by hooking is it where its thiner in the middle than the top

nice one rob helpfull as ever thumbsthumbs

If you need to replace your chain have a look for O-ring chains, last a lot longer than standard ones thumbs

If you need to replace your chain have a look for O-ring chains, last a lot longer than standard ones thumbs
especially if you use dry lube and stop putting chain lube (grinding paste) on it thumbs

especially if you use dry lube and stop putting chain lube (grinding paste) on it

I oil my chain fort-nightly because of the mileage I do, is there something I should know?? Shocked

ive got a scottoiler but still give the chain a good clean monthly thumbs and good advice as ever rob Very Happy

I tend to just give it a wipe, blast any grit off with WD if it's that bad and then use a bit of shell chain oil. Giving the excess a good wipe off afterwards. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong Sad

Ahh, I see. Might invest in some when my other GNs finished. Not bothered about the rat bike

@jimmywiz wrote:
right - the previous owner said that i need to get a new cain and sprockets - but they dont look that bad - whats the best way to measure how long a chain has left in it

way i could tell is does it clunk at all if chains over stretched it can clunk or sproickets rounded, how fars it adjusted back, and when their nackard then tend to stretch 10 times quicker.

not sure m8 - will take a look in the morning how far back it is - dont think its that far back tho

@jimmywiz wrote:

way i could tell is does it clunk at all if chains over stretched it can clunk or sproickets rounded, how fars it adjusted back, and when their nackard then tend to stretch 10 times quicker.

just took a look at how far the wheel was back and it was one notch forword of the middle so its not even half way back yet - and i tryed to pull it off and it wouldent come past the end of the sprocket - so im not replacing it yet

get some good chain cleaner and lube an old toothbrush and plenty old rags and give it a good clean,then check your manual on chain settings ajusting it should help,have you had the sprocket cover off to check the front cog? mine was knacked but the rear was fine its worth checking these things m8 thumbsthumbs

@dick65 wrote:
get some good chain cleaner and lube an old toothbrush and plenty old rags and give it a good clean,then check your manual on chain settings ajusting it should help,have you had the sprocket cover off to check the front cog? mine was knacked but the rear was fine its worth checking these things m8 thumbsthumbs
good advice Dick thumbs

I tend to just give it a wipe, blast any grit off with WD if it's that bad and then use a bit of shell chain oil. Giving the excess a good wipe off afterwards. I hope I'm not doing anything wrong Sad

Dont use WD to clean a chain. Its a penetrant and there are lots of stories on the internet of problems. Kerosene or paraffin is one of the safest