Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robbie

Fitting heated grips

I had heated grips fitted on my Bandit and apart from the obvious in keeping your hands warm they used to help me with an old injury when I tore a tendon in my wrist.
This isn't really a "How Too" thread but thought I'd take a few pics as I went. Not the best quality pics' as I used my phone camera.

Good tip for removing existing grips is to use compressed air.

Unbolting the tank

The tank is on a hinge so just used a bungee cord to hold it back.
Notice how thin the tank is.

Can't really see it but I routed the power lead from the battery along the left hand side of the frame through to the head stock

Left hand grip fitted. Had to trim some of the rubber off at the end for the bar end to fit.

Right hand grip fitted, had to trim quite a bit more rubber off so the throttle could easily return as once the bar end was fitted it rubbed on the grip making the throttle stick.

Bar ends fitted.

Cables all routed together under the screen

I had to modify the bracket that came with the kit and fitted the control unit.

Bike fired up and grips nice and toasty thumbs

Little update......
I disconnected the live feed from the battery and connected it to a switched live using a scotch clip so there's no chance of me forgetting to turn them off. Scotch clip courtesy of my good friend Jezza (he made me say that)

And as they say job's a good 'un Very Happy

great how to m8,they'll come in handy this year i reckon Sadthumbs

puff , you won't catch me using them....youre better off buying a decent pair of gloves.

@dick65 wrote:
great how to m8,they'll come in handy this year i reckon Sadthumbs

Cheers just in time for a British summer Laughing

@jezza wrote:
puff , you won't catch me using them....youre better off buying a decent pair of gloves.

Haha, yeah right ya t**t Wink

yep nice job that i still got the ones i took of my Bandit , just might put them on a bike now after reading this thumbs

@madsod wrote:
yep nice job that i still got the ones i took of my Bandit , just might put them on a bike now after reading this thumbs

Cheers, when I traded the bandit in I left them on as I couldn't be arsed to have to buy new grips as I had cut the old ones off and was swapping bikes within a few days of doing the deal.
Wish I had took them off now though confused

Nice job. Fitted some to a GSX1400 I had. Ran the power lead via a relay so some little censored wouldnt turn them on and drain the battery

TheBiker46 wrote:
Nice job. Fitted some to a GSX1400 I had. Ran the power lead via a relay so some little censored wouldnt turn them on and drain the battery

Yeah I was tempted to power them from the small fusebox upper left of the battery in the pic above but I powered my bandit ones straight from the battery plus I didn't have any scotch clips about and couldn't be bothered messing with the terminals.

I still may do it sometime in the future.

@Robbie wrote:
TheBiker46 wrote:

plus I didn't have any scotch clips about and couldn't be bothered messing with the terminals.

don't worry my little padwan , scotch locks in the morning provide i will.

@jezza wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
TheBiker46 wrote:

plus I didn't have any scotch clips about and couldn't be bothered messing with the terminals.

foflfofl Thankyou master Jedi Jizman Laughing

@Robbie wrote:
@jezza wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
TheBiker46 wrote:

also my light sabre is extended and you shall feel the force , ready tomorrow you shall be.

@jezza wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
@jezza wrote:
@Robbie wrote:

also my light sabre is extended and you shall feel the force , ready tomorrow you shall be.

yeah yeah Ive heard all that before and it failed to meet expectations Laughing

Wait until next week and I'll post a How Too on fitting brake lights to a TOPBOX

@Robbie wrote:
@jezza wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
@jezza wrote:

yeah yeah Ive heard all that before and it failed to meet expectations Laughing

perhaps its cos you prefer the darkside.

Can't beat having a dabble with a bit of dark stuff lol

Updated pic's attached to the end of original post.

I sure you would have Robbie, but did you check the supply was capable of dealing with the current draw of both circuits? The original plus the draw from the grips?

TheBiker46 wrote:
I sure you would have Robbie, but did you check the supply was capable of dealing with the current draw of both circuits? The original plus the draw from the grips?

Yes and no I didn't go into details and check the draw on each circuit but I connected it to the ignition which has 15amp rating and as the grips draw less than 4 I rightly or wrongly thought that would be adequate as most of the power draw would be whilst starting the bike to which the grips wont be on.
I'm no expert so please feel free if you think this is ok or not thumbs

i want some , but want them to turn off with the ignition , was going to ask redcar to fit them at the next service, am i soft ?? hide

@Davehutch wrote:
i want some , but want them to turn off with the ignition , was going to ask redcar to fit them at the next service, am i soft ?? hide
YEA LaughingLaughing

they switch off when they are left on by mistake before they drain your battery too much so can be wired direct from the battery

@Davehutch wrote:
i want some , but want them to turn off with the ignition

Just wire them via an ignition controlled circuit.

Mind you, looking at the Dave v food thread, you'll be wanting a relay, so you can chuck a George Foreman grill in your top box food

they switch off when they are left on by mistake before they drain your battery too much so can be wired direct from the battery

Yes your right but they switch off when the voltage gets too low to even start your bike. This happened to me a couple of times on the bandit And belive me a bandit 12 is not one of the easiest bikes to bump start Very Happy

@Davehutch wrote:

Simplest way Dave is to use a relay. Its like two circuits in one unit, one goes from battery to grips and that copes with the heavy current. The other is like a trigger which is best powered by an ignition controlled circuit and only takes milliamps to operate. If you want any help let me know. Im retired so time doesnt really matter and Im not far away (spent many years teaching low voltage vehicle and plant machine electrics) and dont buy any relays and wiring as Ive got some.

TheBiker46 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

Simplest way Dave is to use a relay. Its like two circuits in one unit, one goes from battery to grips and that copes with the heavy current. The other is like a trigger which is best powered by an ignition controlled circuit and only takes milliamps to operate. If you want any help let me know. Im retired so time doesnt really matter and Im not far away (spent many years teaching low voltage vehicle and plant machine electrics) and dont buy any relays and wiring as Ive got some.

So do you think the way I have wired them up is acceptable ? (above post)
You've got me worrying a bit now ShockedVery Happy

@Robbie wrote:
TheBiker46 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

If its via the ignition it should be fine Robbie. thumbs The ignition system draws very little current and the headlights that come on as well will be via a relay so the current draw is only milliamps for that circuit

TheBiker46 wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
TheBiker46 wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

If its via the ignition it should be fine Robbie. thumbs The ignition system draws very little current and the headlights that come on as well will be via a relay so the current draw is only milliamps for that circuit

thumbs Thanks.