Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chadatious

sv650 2000 problems

firstly my bike wont start.

for a month now when the bike was cold it would struggle to start but would just turn over. however as of the other day it wouldnt start and i had to jump it, then when warm it was fine, and now from yesterday it has stopped working completely and im having to bump start it to get it to even work. reading 13.5 volts at battery, and then 12.7 on the starter but it just clicks. took the motor apart, brushes are worn but still touching, cleaned the copper up and nothing.

secondly the revs are surging.

this has only come about since my 33bhp washers have come out, its find higher revs, and sitting at say 70, but lower revs cruising along it surges. and also wont tick over properly, cuts out easily, i cant find an air leak, so im getting stumped by it, when i am handy on the bikes, but its getting on my nerves now, and dont really want to take it to a shop,

unfortinatly i havent got dave, rich, and rob to give me a push anymore LaughingLaughing

is it worth running redex or something a like through it, and then if not take carbs apart, as their spose to clean it?

also the bikes still burning oil levels eight down again :/ very thristy, yet no smoke etc, strange

when its running put a meter on the battery it should be 14,5 to 15,5 volts if down could be a charging fault , this could make the cdi run wrong so the bike will run like a bag of shit , if thats all ok the it could well be the carbs , just might need a new battery as it does have a hard life on the v twins

okay 2 month old battery is out, it was bulged, load of crap!

put old back in, it miht have not been wrong been sitting for 2 months still ot 13.1 volts, it was only cos it struggled like before, but still clocking, had starter apart, checked loom, bikes in a million bits, and if i put a spanner over the relay it does nothing so got feeling its naff. once for sale local £15 may just give it a go and see what happens.

when spose3 mid range could have been cos battery was naffed.

The surging definately suggests an air leak at the carbs squirt some wd40 around the inlet rubbers and see if it affects the running if the tempo changes you have a leak

i dont have a temp guage? ot do you mean way it runs?

and surgings lower worry at min, getting it started is tyhe main as i can check without it running Sad

its alive!!!!!!!!!!!

battery was fooked, and i mean fooked, looks liek it could split.

and when i put my old battery in that doesnt hold a chargew but is useable for a week or 2, i hadnt quite connected it right as its so tight in there. oh well ill go out soon see if it misfires.

its alive!!!!!!!!!!!

battery was fooked, and i mean fooked, looks liek it could split.

and when i put my old battery in that doesnt hold a chargew but is useable for a week or 2, i hadnt quite connected it right as its so tight in there. oh well ill go out soon see if it misfires.
ther you go if it has gone out of shape then you might have a charging fault , as if the volt regulator has gone this will over charger the battery and cook it , put a meter on and see the out put

i dont have a temp guage? ot do you mean way it runs?

and surgings lower worry at min, getting it started is tyhe main as i can check without it running Sad

Chad I meant the tempo of the engine ie ticking over speed NOT its bloody temperature Rolling Eyes
and like Gary said get a meter on the battery terminals to check regulator output if its above 15.5 volts it could be a problem, causeing excess gassing and boiling of the electrolyte which will knacker your battery

Cant you just borrow a good known battery off one of ya mates chad just to try

Then that will rule the battery out thumbs

Then if it still surges you can dig a little deeper then ie pilot jets thumbs

electrics sorted, buty surges are still there and only since restrictors came out, carb balancing perhaps?

electrics sorted, buty surges are still there and only since restrictors came out, carb balancing perhaps?
by surgeing do you mean as if the bike wants full throttle at low speeds if so

then yeah a carb balance wont hurt,check pilot screws are set right ect ect

mines the same chad but thats down to suzuki changeing the pilot jets from size 20 down to 15 for the emissions

Thats why Im haveing it jetted should of been done a while ago but need to wait now till after me holiday

you could try some of that seafoam through it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seafoam-Motor-Treatment-Sea-Foam-Engine-Cleaner-UK-SELLER-RAPID-SHIPPING-/251118443142?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item3a77d35a86#ht_1348wt_932

by surging i mean on say every 7th beat it will mis. revs bounce about and when riuding its very go stop go stop. not unrideable but noticeable

heres why electrics wernt right, 2 months old, never turn over as well as the oprevious anyway, the pics dont give it justice, ever side, top and bottom are swolen, i can see it poping any min.

I think you might be advised to check your reg/rec if that's a new battery. These things don't tend to happen randomly. Smile

I think you might be advised to check your reg/rec if that's a new battery. These things don't tend to happen randomly. Smile

agree - and I still want to check the charging rate.

20.3 volts if i run the bike at 6k revs :/ ouch

affraidaffraidaffraidaffraid That's a touch too much fofl

If you don't have a spare regulator in stock, and don't mind a bit of fiddling about, a common mod is to fit one off of something else. Laddo used one off a late model CBR600 IIRC, but the best bet is allegedly from an '06 onwards R1 which runs a lot cooler due to not being a 'shunt' type apparently.

20.3 volts if i run the bike at 6k revs :/ ouch

Im suprised you couldnt smell the hydrogen gas as the battery was boiling itself into oblivion.

Dont light a cigarette near it ....BOOM

Nine times out of ten if the battery looks that bad then you have a problem . dont run it as it will kill the one you have in the bike now . new reg it looks like