Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilinjack

Sometimes work's not so bad #2

I'm in Inverness most of this week, and found an interesting little stroll only a couple of miles from today's job. Quite a tough climb but worth the effort. It's Fyrish Hill near Alness. The monument at the top has an interesting story too (see bottom)

Halfway up, that's the Cromarty Firth below and the Black Isle opposite. Cairngorms not that visible are in the background.

At the top is this monument....

The Fyrish Monument is a monument built in 1782 on Fyrish Hill (Cnoc Fyrish), in Fyrish near Evanton, Easter Ross, Scotland, on the orders of Sir Hector Munro, 8th of Novar, a native lord of the area who had served in India as a general. As the local population were being cleared off their land to make way for sheep, employment was a problem and so it was built to give the locals some work. It represents the Gate of Negapatam, a port in Madras, India, which General Munro took for the British in 1781. It is visible from almost anywhere in the parishes of Kiltearn and Alness.

@dick65 wrote:
very impressive thumbsthumbs

I almost passed your house on Sunday mate-got fed up of the A66 so I went through Middleton, Alston & back onto the M6 near Brampton. Not a bad stretch of road that. I might have to do it on the bike sometime. thumbsVery Happy

Next time your going to be uo this way gis a shout that's my stomping ground love them rds. thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
very impressive thumbsthumbs

I almost passed your house on Sunday mate-got fed up of the A66 so I went through Middleton, Alston & back onto the M6 near Brampton. Not a bad stretch of road that. I might have to do it on the bike sometime. thumbsVery Happy

fantastic roads alan but better on a bike,im only 6 miles from brampton you should have said m8 thumbsthumbs

And i look at four walls most day SadSad , very nice pictures i must get up this part of the UK soon thumbs