Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

phone charging on my bike ??

If i plug my phone in to my socket on my bike to charge it when the bike is not running , will this flatten the battery ? or will i be able to charge it up and still start the bike after ?

I am thinking of doing a test charge while the bike is at home in my garage, then see if it will start after the phone is charged,

agree with stue cant see it going flat though thumbs

@lee wrote:
so will there be enough charge left to start the bike ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:
so will there be enough charge left to start the bike ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I would say so dave phones use sod all these days,a pencil battery would charge a phone up thumbs

@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:

I would say so dave phones use sod all these days,a pencil battery would charge a phone up thumbs
at last a answer lol! think i will try it and find out one night thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:

just have your aa card to hand oh and make sure the phone is charged LaughingLaughing

@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@lee wrote:

just have your aa card to hand oh and make sure the phone is charged LaughingLaughing
slapheadv funny

They will give your phone a boost, but dont forget a AA battery is only 1.5v. put it in perspective, it will kepe ya battery at a % its on before plugging it in, rather than charging it up. All depends on the phone as well though

@fr499y wrote:
They will give your phone a boost, but dont forget a AA battery is only 1.5v. put it in perspective, it will kepe ya battery at a % its on before plugging it in, rather than charging it up. All depends on the phone as well though
so what about the question i asked Huh

it will slowly drain the battery, same as using the aux on a car without the car running thumbs shouldn't used enough to stop the bike from starting. See how many amps/volts your charger takes and how long it takes to charge your phone normally or just try it in the garage and see :P

@lee wrote:

I've used the black one with the numerous adapters Lee and it was very cheaply made getting the phone to connect was a constant hassle holding the lead in all the time thumb down after a couple of uses it packed up all together. Not saying they are all like this but the pencil type black one was rubbish IMO.

Its only a small capacity battery Dave I don't think it would be good draining it even if it is only a small drain overnight, can you not just charge it on the move like your SatNav?

@lee wrote:

I've used the black one with the numerous adapters Lee and it was very cheaply made getting the phone to connect was a constant hassle holding the lead in all the time thumb down after a couple of uses it packed up all together. Not saying they are all like this but the pencil type black one was rubbish IMO.

Its only a small capacity battery Dave I don't think it would be good draining it even if it is only a small drain overnight, can you not just charge it on the move like your SatNav?
i am struggling for room especially if i have my sat-nav thumb down

@Davehutch wrote:

OK Dave, this is made on the following assumptions:
1) Your phone is an HTC Desire
2) Your phone charger is rated at 500mA
3) You B-King battery is rated at 10 Amp Hours.

You can draw 500 mA from a 10A battery for 20 hours before the voltage drops to 10.5v (flat) [1][2][3]

Plug your charger in and test the current drain with a multimeter to get a more accurate estimate.

[1] In reality it might only pull 200mA, thus extending your available charge time
[2] Assuming reasonable ambient temperature, no other loads like alarms etc
[3] If my maths is right

@Macie_UK wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

OK Dave, this is made on the following assumptions:
1) Your phone is an HTC Desire
2) Your phone charger is rated at 500mA
3) You B-King battery is rated at 10 Amp Hours.

You can draw 500 mA from a 10A battery for 20 hours before the voltage drops to 10.5v (flat) [1][2][3]

Plug your charger in and test the current drain with a multimeter to get a more accurate estimate.

[1] In reality it might only pull 200mA, thus extending your available charge time
[2] Assuming reasonable ambient temperature, no other loads like alarms etc
[3] If my maths is right
you know suff thankyou

i cant see it draining it completely. i used a laptop with a 240 volt adapter on my bandit and astarted an hour later

i cant see it draining it completely. i used a laptop with a 240 volt adapter on my bandit and astarted an hour later

I can confirm that a 20 foot long rope light fed through an inverter in a tank bag drains a bike battery rather quickly LaughingLaughing