Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gravelrash

Easy-outs argh!!

Just bought some easy-outs to remove a snapped bolt in an exhaust heat shield bracket. Soaked with plus gas for a few days, drilled the pilot hole and slowly inserted the easy-out and turned anti clockwise thumbs
Whose the psychic who can guess what happens next? Rolling Eyes

@Davehutch wrote:
what do i win ??? Very Happy

If your really good I'll have a word with Chad and see if he can send you a visor sticker bounce But only if your really good! lol!

lots of these easy outs are cheap and nasty, try again, but add a bit of head,

im having same issue removing my hugger, last panel left and bolts are mank.

might have a problem drilling it out, easy outs are hardened.
Yep spark erosion is the only way but that will be head of you can some times wiggle them back out , hope all goes well . i will never use them as 9 time out of ten it snaps , well crap

lots of these easy outs are cheap and nasty, try again, but add a bit of head,

im having same issue removing my hugger, last panel left and bolts are mank.

Can't really use any more (head? Suspect ) thread Chad cos I'd be going into the exhaust No but a bigger deeper easy-out may have worked if there was room thumbs

@madsod wrote:
might have a problem drilling it out, easy outs are hardened.
Yep spark erosion is the only way but that will be head of you can some times wiggle them back out , hope all goes well . i will never use them as 9 time out of ten it snaps , well crap

Managed to drill the easy-out er! out I'll just keep widening the hole then hopefully collapse the bolt shank in on itself with a small drift (had tried the cutting a slot and using a flat-head but couldn't shift it,same story with using a small cold chisel ) I'll get it in the end!! fighting

if you managed to drill it out it was a cheapo one and thats why it snapped, get a quality Draper or similar set before you try again and good luck. thumbs

if you managed to drill it out it was a cheapo one and thats why it snapped, get a quality Draper or similar set before you try again and good luck. thumbs

Thanks Rob thumbs It was an £8 set from Ebay and I think your right about the quality mate Sad

Very Happy i fallen into the same trap with the cheapo tools... we live and learn,

You know what's really sad mate that's exactly what I was thinking when I bought it head bangslaphead

sorry meant heat, knocked the wrong button Wink

i know its exhuast stud but worth a try Wink

im dredding getting my hugger off 1 bolts rounded, ones solid just wont turn and dont want to round it and other goes round thing rubber bung on other sides spinning, may need the wheel off Rolling Eyes

sorry meant heat, knocked the wrong button Wink

i know its exhuast stud but worth a try Wink

im dredding getting my hugger off 1 bolts rounded, ones solid just wont turn and dont want to round it and other goes round thing rubber bung on other sides spinning, may need the wheel off Rolling Eyes

These are good for rounded bolt heads chad thumbs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-Bolt-Nut-Extractor-Remover-Set-8-10-13-19mm-11-16-/150913334161?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item232322bb91