Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilinjack

Big Tourers

Time to kill this week, in Folkestone most of the week. Anyway, a Triumph Trophy passed me on the QE II bridge, and it got me wondering. Why on earth are touring bikes so huge? Is it not possible to make a decent tourer unless it weighs 450 kilos? I look around and can see nothing better than my 13 year old VFR. confused

ive ridden a coupel of bigger bikes like it and i wouldnt want one but they are smooth, and are planted, and one had a radio! banana

thats the thing, there is two classes. Sports tourer which are smaller and lighter, then there are the tourers.

I've ridden both sports tourers and tourers and there is one hell of a difference! The FJR is on border of sports tourer and as you would expect, its smooth and its powerful when you need it! The power is there lower down compared to the sports tourers which ( like the VFR ) are more sporty and higher in the rev range. You will find pretty much all tourers will be shaft driven.

Sports tourers:-
VFR
Crossrunner
Triumph Sprint

Tourers:-
R1200RT
K1600GT
GTR1400
FJR1300
Trophy

I guess its kind of like cars.. The tourer versions are usually big old estates with roof bars and a boot big enough to stick 10 bodies in.

I would choose a sports tourer over a tourer just for the ease of owning one. Easier to move around and will do everything!

etc etc

I like big bikes Laughing more presence on the road as well

@dick65 wrote:
I like big bikes Laughing  more presence on the road as well

Have to agree thumbsthumbs

People still don't see them, or pull in front so you can't pass, as an X5 did to me on Sundays ride home. Just did him on the inside then thumbsShockedTwisted Evil

I've found that over the years doesn't matter how big your bike is, how brightly coloured it and you are they still wont see you. However if your bike is loud enough to make the ground shake then your good to go Laughing

I tend to stick with original can as I cant be bothered rejetting etc , its easier with FI bikes but not carb's.

bikesafes a good option for learning roadcraft and being seen or advanced riding thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
I tend to stick with original can as I cant be bothered rejetting etc , its easier with FI bikes but not carb's.

bikesafes a good option for learning roadcraft and being seen or advanced riding thumbs

Never had a single carbed bike that i've had to jet. OK tell a lie, the DRZ because i had full system, open box and freeflow filter. If anything, its the FI bikes that are more a pain due to lean mixtures from factory

@fr499y wrote:
I've found that over the years doesn't matter how big your bike is, how brightly coloured it and you are they still wont see you. However if your bike is loud enough to make the ground shake then your good to go Laughing

Have to agree thumbsLaughingLaughing

I find the ZX12R, ZX14, Hayabusa etc as big and tourer oriented as you can go before you get the downsides of engines that lack top end, shaft drive, odd tyre sizes, linked brakes, barn door fairings and other stuff I don't want or need.

The sports tourers can still chase sports bikes on a weekend or run a good time at the strip. They aren't as much a one trick pony as the pure tourers.

Unless you spend every mile "on tour" I'd rather have a Sports tourer that's 75% as good as a huge tourer, than a huge tourer that 25% as a Sports tourer.

Fair point Tony. I've never ridden any of the pure tourers but they always look uncomfortable through fast corners, but lads always say it's the rider not the bike. Must be why I'm always at the back WinkLaughingthumbs