Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilinjack

Test rode a Tracer

Well, despite what I just said to Dave in another thread, I managed a test ride on Friday, thanks to getting a job finished off on Thursday and nothing I could rearrange for Friday.
Went up to CMC for a new coat, and the Yamaha Tracer demo was available. Nice day, why not?
So off I went up toards Owler Bar. First impression-nice riding position, snatchy throttle response at urban speeds, so despite the seating position not that nice to drive in town I reckon. By the time I hit the countryside, I realised that my bum was already wriggling about. Not that comfy then. Hitting the gas at speed, it goes nicely. Great exhaust note too. Brakes are good, powerful but progressive. Coming back I came down a couple of bumpy B roads towards Chesterfield, and realised that it felt like I was riding a pogo stick. Honestly, my Speed Triple is nicer to ride over bumpy roads. So TBH the last five miles or so to Clay Cross, all I wanted to do was get off. Massive disappointment, I really thought this bike was going to tick all the boxes. Getting back on a 13 year old VFR was bliss. What a bummer. Will try the Kawasaki Versys, also looked at the Triumph XRT, but they don't convince me. Rather have a Tiger Sport actually. Smile

well I never believe all the hype when a new bike comes out, seems lots of manufacturers have lumpy throttle action nowadays trying to keep emissions down at the cost of rideability. one of my m8's had the 650 versys up Scotland and I followed him for a while I could not believe it was the 650 what a good motor,and seemed to handle well the 1000 must be great. got to be worth a try.

as ian says with throttle my duke suffers with being a bit snatchy in towns everyone says lambda eliminate it and it solves that its due to keeping emissions down.

but shame it didnt suit you, one of those things its all personal preference.

Probably no worse bike than my VFR for snatchiness at low throttle. I disconnected the PAIRS sensor and disconnected the snorkel tube from the airbox. Like a different bike. Smile

Owned the a MT-09 SR for just under a year. Same thing most people complain about can be sorted out VERY easily.. suspension is fine once setup correctly. Did you try riding it in B mode or leave it in standard or A? B is smooth as anything!! A ride on mine would probs change your opinion ( if you can put up with the noise from a full 3-1 arrow race exhaust ) lol I have got a o2 optimizer fitted which richens it up a fair bit, and 50.6mpg if hooning in A mode isn't bad fuel economy!

Yes, I'm sure the Tracer is a beter bike than it appeared. I checked the suspension, chain etc when I got back, which is more interest than the dealer showed. He knows they'll sell so I don't matter. But that seat is not a thing of beauty. I'll try Kawasaki and Triumph. One thing I will say, both dealers showed more interest than CMC could muster. Smile

the new versys 1000 is supposed to be a belter but way out my price league and I don't do finance - if I aint got the cash I wont buy

I quite like the guzzi norge hide

@dick65 wrote:
the new versys 1000 is supposed to be a belter but way out my price league and I don't do finance - if I aint got the cash I wont buy

I quite like the guzzi norge hide

Mate, I've had a thing for Guzzi since the Le Mans and T3. But I need Japanese I reckon, as I plan hammering it up and down the country fully loaded. Probably trust a Triumph, but Italian might need too much faith. Very Happy

One of these followed me through Via Gellia a while back. Looked really good on the road

I reckon there more reliable than Ducati's Alan Laughing but yeah ive got a soft spot for guzzi's as well .... and Laverda's thumbs
but I do like the reliability of jap bikes m8

Dave you had a go on the gsx 1250 Fa ?

yeah not a patch on the king but a damn good workhorse fast agile and the torques addictive thumbs

heard a lot of folk say that but I think its due to the power curve being more linear

@dick65 wrote:
yeah not a patch on the king but a damn good workhorse fast agile and the torques addictive thumbs

heard a lot of folk say that but I think its due to the power curve being more linear
don't know how this new one compares ? is it the same bike ?

they changed in 2010 which is the one I have (gsx fully faired) so think there the same engine just the new ones the bandit gsf half faired
80ft of torque at 3000 revs thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
they changed in 2010 which is the one I have (gsx fully faired) so think there the same engine just  the new ones the bandit gsf half faired
80ft of torque at 3000 revs thumbs
thumbs like you say bloody good bike for £6199 otr

there a bargain m8 and a lot of bike for the money thumbsthumbs

theres not a lot of new bikes out there that do it for me and im done with sports bikes thumbs

@dick65 wrote:

theres not a lot of new bikes out there that do it for me and im done with sports bikes thumbs
thread hijacked sorry Alan , I plan to use the king for a few more years yet till it has high mileage, then buy something new again , god knows what will be about then and how well I will be to ride by then , we will see when the time comes

Similarly, I don't see too many bikes that I really think I could own. Plenty I like, but ownership is a different animal.
Tracer is a Yamaha triple, bit of a sit up tourer type thing. Very cheap for what it offers. Now I know why!

right im with you now m8 looks like a beefed up TDM which is no bad thing - Yamaha have a record for quirky - but why they have to strangle a bikes performance due to emissions laws beats me and then us the customer has to spend a packet rectifying it - Volkswagen nearly got round it though Wink

@Davehutch wrote:
@dick65 wrote:

thread hijacked  sorry Alan ,    I plan to use the king for a few more years yet till it has high mileage, then buy something new again , god knows what will be about then and how well I will be to ride by then , we will see when the time comes  
i bet it will be a turbo diesel with 200 bhp and 100 mpg Shocked

Have a look at the 15+ crossrunner as well. More power than the old VFR800 engine, v-tec moved slightly higher in the revs so it doesn't annoy the shit out of ya! seat is much nicer than the tracer.

Oh yes!! my MT-09 is smooth as silk, and our old FJR ( 12/13 reg's ) were smooth as well. Still get the nice clunk into first though lol.

good to hear matt thumbs my Ace was a bit agricultural lol - must say im impressed with my Suzuki gear box thumbs

Actually, I have to say I was also underwhelmed by the gearchange. Not a patch on any of my current bikes, Honda included. To be fair though, it can take a few thousand miles to free up a gearbox.
And another thing-got a great view of my elbows in the mirrors. Sat on a Versys the other day and I have to say it struck me as superior in all regards. I think I will take one out, it strikes me as the front runner for what I need. Smile

1000 mate. Only worry is the seat height. Certainly wouldn't want to be any higher. Far more powerful than any of the others and looks comfy too. All about the money though!

by the sounds of things, they really screwed up the tracer! None of the issues are on the SR thumbs

now I like that Alan looks much better than the previous incarnation thumbsVery Happy

I like the new upright / nakeds.
Some really are fun.

Problem I have is I love the grunt of a big bore bike
and still like the screaming top end.

Much of the new stuff is better handling, nimble, sporty and fun,
but jumping off a B-King or naked Busa it lacks that "punch".

Can't see me going back to a little bike again.
I switch between being a lazy rider and a speed freak, and not found anything better than what I have.

If they put the Kings engine in a GSX1000S with a 22 ltr tank I'd be there ready to sign the paperwork though.

I like the new upright / nakeds.
Some really are fun.

Much of the new stuff is better handling, nimble, sporty and fun,
but jumping off a B-King or naked Busa it lacks that "punch".

Can't see me going back to a little bike again.
I switch between being a lazy rider and a speed freak, and not found anything better than what I have.

I'd still keep my MT-09 over a busa or b-king any day. ( personal preference ovc! ) 0-60mph there is 0.1 of a second in it both in standard trim, the weight difference is night and day, and the top speed is still pretty darn healthy for a sub 1000cc, naked bike ( and restricted in top for that matter ). You know there is a turbo kit out in aus for the MT-09 that puts it at just shy of 200bhp at the rear? Wink

im kind of mixed there matt, the bigger bike sometimes i like as your planted, where as i noticed the ktm compared to the aprilia feels skittish where it is light and nutty, why i want to track this one after a couple years and get a 1290 when they get cheaper.

Tracer would be great around the local mountains.
In fact so would a new GSX1000.

Yeah, on paper they have good 0 to 60's etc, but having ridden several late model nakeds they don't
have the grunt out of corners or the punch when
overtaking, or the long legs top end.

Doesn't make one better than the other.
Different styles, different bikes.

I know a few new and happy MT owners, but they
do different rides and distances to me.

Horses for courses.

The turbo mentioned might be the one my mate built ?

Ben at Extreme Creations in Sydney ?

Made over 200 at one point.

First one was done as a "drift bike" for a customer.

(He still rides a naked Hayabusa as his own bike thumbs)

Does sound familiar!

Someone did a drag race of a MT-09 compared to a busa but no times were posted. Shame really lol.

I know what you mean about some bikes lacking the poke when you need them, thats one thing i like with the MT-09 ( unless your in 6th, still need to find someone local to remove the restriction from the ECU )

There are other bikes i would have tomorrow, but sadly my neck doesn't agree with heavier bikes Sad ( hence why I've gone through so many in such a short time )