Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obalanga

engine whine

I recently bought a 1.4 diesel fiesta zetec. I was desperate and rushed through the sale for work purposes. When I started the car at the dealers it sounded fine. On driving away there is a whine that is undulating with the revs. But at idle it is not there (the whine). My mechanic had a quick look and found that it had been in a collision (front) but a good repair job. Dealer had said it had a new clutch, water pump and timing belt. I wonder if any one had any ideas about the whine.
It also has 16 inch alloy rims. I want to get a spare tyre as I do not like the inflation kit system. Must the spare wheel be a like for like or can I have a normal r14 steel wheel and rim bearing in mind I may only use it for a couple of days whilst a puncture is repaired?

does it still whine when you take it out of gear when moving if so could be a wheel bearing, also does it still whine when the clutch is depressed with some revs on or again moving if so could be diff . when the timing belt was changed did they also renew the tensioner as they can also whine when worn, I think I would take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it .
you can use steel wheel as a spare as long as the tyre is the same size unless its a spacesaver. bear in mind you may need to use different wheel bolts .

as for spare a 14 is fine just get a tyre the same circumference or as dam close. just use a tyre calculator, i run a 16" spare for my 20" wheels, just dont like using it on the front too long as long term could do damage to the diff.