Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obalanga

any techy boffins out here

I bought a laptop a 3-4 years ago. It was future proof what ever that actually means. It has 500gb hard drive that is taking longer and longer to boot up. Is it feasible to buy a 1 tb hard drive and have it mirrored to make it easier transferring my work, music, bookmarks, passwords etc? Will any viruses or malware be transferred as well? can I also amp up the ram there by increasing performance?

no tech is future proof that's feckin impossible unless its come from the future, feckin salesmen will tell you owt to get a sale just buy a new laptop they're pretty cheap now and better than that old fossil you still using. 500gb is useless.

@madcarper wrote:
no tech is future proof that's feckin impossible unless its come from the future, feckin salesmen will tell you owt to get a sale just buy a new laptop they're pretty cheap now and better than that old fossil you still using. 500gb is useless.

tell it like it is m8 foflfofl

@dick65 wrote:
@madcarper wrote:

tell it like it is m8 foflfofl

Always get a straight answer from Ian.....no prisoners taken! fofl

@obalanga wrote:
Is it feasible to buy a 1 tb hard drive and have it mirrored

As in install a new drive to replace your existing one?  Yes, you can.

@obalanga wrote:
Will any viruses or malware be transferred as well?

Yes.  Only way around that is to fit new drive and do a fresh install.  I'm guessing this is Windows?
Or you could dump all your docs / pics etc to an external HDD, and do a clean install on your existing drive.  Some laptops (Dell, Acer for example) often don't come with an OS disc, but have it installed as an extra partition (usually D:) and if this is the case you can often do an easy reinstall from that.  Obviously this means that all the OS updates will need to be done, and you'll have the pain of removing all the pre installed bloatware....

@obalanga wrote:
can I also up the ram there by increasing performance?

If you have available slots or capacity. Check with:

Kingston

Crucial Checker

Unless your HDD is nearly full, it's more likely that the CPU, GPU, or RAM is a bigger bottleneck than the read/write speed of the hard drive.
And 500GB is huuuuuuge  :-)

comprehensive, I just have alot of crap on the laptop that I hang on to. Will try a clear out first
thanks