Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThisIsSparta

Are You Supposed To *Resist* Sin Or Something Else...?

okay, because i've read what the bible says in regards to sin and I still have doubts about what it says.

when it comes to sin, are you supposed to make it a point to grit your teeth and just make yourself miserable in resisting your sinful desires?

or should it be less painful than that?

All persons including Christians will sin because all we are imperfect beings. When we accept Jesus Christ as the lord and saviour of our lives the Holy Ghost comes to live within each and every one of us and gives us the strength and ability to resist sin. The Holy Ghost is here to teach us and guide us. One of the fruits of the Spirit is temperance (self control) therefore through the power and help of the Holy Ghost a Christian has the supernatural strength to resist sin and temptation and to control themselves. As I stated before the Holy Spirit is here to guide us in our daily lives and to help us make right choices. I remember one day my dad said to me that I should not trouble a particular slice of cake as he wanted to eat it later. Well I have a great liking for cake and was eyeing it. I decided to ignore what my dad say and I decided to eat the cake, as soon as I went to touch it the Holy Spirit said to me firmly that I should not eat the cake. I knew it was the Holy Ghost but ignored his prompting. Unfortunately, when my dad came home he was so upset and he told me that he thought about being able to eat the cake throughtout the day. I felt pretty bad and I have learned my lesson that I must be mindful of other people and controlling myself instead of being selfish and greedy. Gluttony is a sin and is something I struggle with that at times.

There are some areas in our lives that we tend to struggle in more than others, the best thing we can do is to pray and ask Jesus Christ to help us to not give into sin and temptation and obeys what he tells us to do and do what we know we should do.

Yes, we all struggle with something or another. And yes, it is hard on the flesh to resist something, especially after it's already been introduced to it. And don't let that fleshly desire be enjoyable to us...oh, Dear Lord! I am stuggling with something right now. I try to read what the word says about it daily (Even though I've placed it where I can see it almost everyday, I don't always do...just keeping it real).

Galatians 5:16 (Amplified)
"But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God)".

But that scripture has sparked something on the inside of me and I can't get it out of my mind. I honestly feel that if I keep quoting it and meditating on it, it will get deep down in my spirit. It has to. The word (which is God) is all I have to believe and stand on.

Find a scripture that quickens your spirit and get it down in your spirit. I find that I ask questions like this when God is dealing with me in areas that I know is hindering me. He hasn't left me alone about it and He's not going to leave you alone either until we line up with His word. This is a good thing because He could always leave us out there in our mess.

I'll be praying for you. Turning from sin is harder when I try to do it in my own strength.

By the way, the book of Galatians is a good place to start. After reading the introduction in my bible, I call it "The Book of Freedom From Sin". What shocked me the most is that most of the reference scriptures I followed up on lead to the book of Hebrews; I call it "The Book of Faith".