Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Christa

Who likes chipped beef gravy?! MMmmmm!

I've gotten really good at gravy lately. My grandmother was from Oklahoma and she made the best chipped beef gravy for biscuits and gravy. It's sooooo fattening, but sooooo wonderful. She would eat it with some grape jelly. I'm spoiled rotten now and I can't have it any other way. This is how you make it.

-Make some bacon and keep the fat in the pan.

-Add about 1/4 cup of real butter

-Once the butter is melted add in some flour, probably about 1/2 a cup. Mix the flour and the butter together until it makes a paste (you might need to add a little more flour or butter so that you can get the consistency right....the paste should kind of look like sugar cookie dough texture)

-Add some sage, chili powder, black pepper, and a couple of dashes of tobasco sauce.

-Add your sliced up chipped (dried) beef. I like mine in 2-3 inch rectangle strips. Stir everything together a couple of times.

-Get out your gallon of milk and add about a cup to the mixture to start. Stir constantly and keep adding milk little by little as the sauce gets too thick. There will eventually be a point to where the gravy will stop thickening and it'll have a smooth consistency, that's why it's important to add the milk slowly. You don't want to over-milk.

-Taste your gravy, add salt and pepper as needed (to your liking), serve with biscuits (or toast) and grape jelly.

Yum Yum!

It's oh so good too. I might make it on Christmas morning for the fam. Maybe this is where the comment, "good gravy" came from....somebody somewhere made some good gravy and it became an inside joke or something.