Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gissy2

Testing the spirits

Ok, this maybe obvious for others but for me it's not so obvious.

I read a dream last night that sparked a question in me. If you are falling asleep or just about to wake and you hear a voice. How do you test that spirit to know it's from God. I know people say it alot and they would ask you does it line up with the Word. But what if the voice isn't telling you to do something eg. a few years ago I was between sleep and wake I heard this voice telling me something very specific about my future, I don't have to do anything but wait. Right now with my natural eyes I don't see that thing happening. How would I test that spirit? How would I know it's true?

Hi Gissy, I believe it's a very individual question. I'd pray for more confirmation through dreams, through Word concerning what was said to you. If it is not from God, it will eventually melt away.

Two year ago when I was on an edge of a challenging decision, I heard a very clear voice and if I am not mistaken, I heard it when I was almost asleep. What the voice told me DID make sense to me. But I was in such an unstable condition (I could also here some ugly stuff and this was not from God, definitely) back then that I didn't concentrate on it but bookmarked it for me. I just kept praying, staying in His Word and spending A LOT OF TIME in praise and worship. All of this brought me through, I remember I would put a whole cd or two and would spend hours in worshiping and I truly believe that a GREAT exchange happened and it brought me where I am now.

Now two years later when I look back to that day and where I am at this season of my life I have NO doubt that it was God speaking to me. What is interesting what He told me was referring not just to me individually but my family and even a nation. And what He told me, He also backed up with His Word. I had a friend who whenever I called her during that time would start prophesying and speaking to me and she would say exact same things for hours. Can you imagine, she would say in the end of our conversation (although I didn't say anything but listen) that she was sweating, she hadn't experienced such an urge from the Holy Spirit to say all those things to me and that the words she spoke to me was not from her, her mouth was just moving. But I was in such a mess back then that I couldn't see that clearly. I was in torment and fear. I can also remember when I was praying in Spirit, I could literally feel in my prayer language a clear rebuke but in a loving way, rebuke that would tell me "Don't you see what I am doing and you are still afraid!" (not exact words but the sense of the whole situation).

He basically surrounded me with all of the above mentioned and even MORE SO FAITHFULLY, He wouldn't let me go away from it. But I was also determined, I knew I was doing the right thing, I was on the right path and I just trusted Him BLINDLY AND TOTALLY, I knew I had no other way.

And couple of weeks ago I was testifying to our friends this situation in details and all of them where shocked. They are non-believer and you may wonder how they received such information - they were so open to it, they received it. happy dance Praise God! I am thankful for what He has done and is doing for me and my family! praiseGod

I pray this makes sense to you and helps you. Let me know if you need more huggins

Wow, that's a great testimony nubava! thumbs

I agree with nubava - if the voice is from God, it's message will always line up with the Word and where the message isn't something that you can line up immediately, file it for future reference and God will be faithful to confirm it again, if you ask Him. (although He'll confirm it again whether you ask or not, depends on the matter and His purpose).

As an example, a few years ago I was going through a challenging time in a friendship and as I was waking up from a dream concerning him, I heard a voice that said "don't worry, good things will come to bear". A few months later, I was half asleep and woke up to a tv preacher saying "don't worry". In a conversation about that friendship with another friend who didn't know the situation that well, she said that she felt the Lord was telling me to wait. Long story short, much has happened since then and good things have come to bear.

But as another example, one time as I was waking up from a dream, I heard a voice say "she's having a girl and it's name will be Emily Ann". This was in reference to an ex's wife. It turned out she was pregnant but she had a miscarriage a couple of weeks later. So while the voice was correct that she was pregnant, it was incorrect in suggesting that the baby was a girl with a name. As such, this voice couldn't have been from God because He's never wrong....

nubava and lola thank you. I guess my spiritual ears are not tuned in well enough. i do agree i mostly have to spend more time in The Word and mature more . flower