Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boscoe Jenkins

humble & humility...

my sister & i were talking one night & she said i looked Humble. kinda caught me off guard because i've never been told that. I dont really think i'm humble i can be mean @ times. i was wondering What does it mean to be humble & how does someone carry themselves that way. i would also like to know what does Humility mean? i've decided to take on one of the problems i have. i want to overcome my issue withbeing prideful. it's an ugly quality & I dont want it to cause me to lose more than i've already lost. Any advice is appreciated. scratching chin

I too have to deal with this issue alot. From my own experience only I can tell you that spending your time with the Lord daily will take the "chains" of pride off you. It does take time. Sometimes it's hard for us to figure out which issue is causing what. Which one is the root and which ones are its branches. But the Lord sees precisely and deals with them in the right order. Trust Him with the order and trust Him that He is dealing with you the best way.

What helped me with being prideful (I am still work in progress!) is seeing myself (I mean on my own, without His Blood, for what I'm worth) with His eyes. When you just take a glimpse at all this horrible stinky ugliness you quickly lose any desire whatsoever to lift yourself up above others and the Lord (as horrible as this sound we do this daily and most of the time don't even know it).

Then I've learned also that there is a false humility as well. This happens when we look at our own shortcomings instead of at the Lord and what He can do. I learned that this is just another form of human pride. This needs to be dealt with as well. I myself am sooooo guilty of this. And it stands in the way of God using us full power for His work.
But when we are willing to give it up the Lord is faithful and He will remove it and set us free!!!

God bless!

astra wrote:
I too have to deal with this issue alot. From my own experience only I can tell you that spending your time with the Lord daily will take the "chains" of pride off you. It does take time. Sometimes it's hard for us to figure out which issue is causing what. Which one is the root and which ones are its branches. But the Lord sees precisely and deals with them in the right order. Trust Him with the order and trust Him that He is dealing with you the best way.

What helped me with being prideful (I am still work in progress!) is seeing myself (I mean on my own, without His Blood, for what I'm worth) with His eyes. When you just take a glimpse at all this horrible stinky ugliness you quickly lose any desire whatsoever to lift yourself up above others and the Lord (as horrible as this sound we do this daily and most of the time don't even know it).

Then I've learned also that there is a false humility as well. This happens when we look at our own shortcomings instead of at the Lord and what He can do. I learned that this is just another form of human pride. This needs to be dealt with as well. I myself am sooooo guilty of this. And it stands in the way of God using us full power for His work.
But when we are willing to give it up the Lord is faithful and He will remove it and set us free!!!

God bless!
Astra I LOVE your comments!! I agree completely! I think pride is one of the hardest things to see in ourselves, bc pride can kind of blind us at times. Bosco, the fact that you are posting this shows your humbleness in wanting to learn more. I am guilty of both forms of pride that astra explains above. Sometimes I see myself and ALL my shortcomings, and forget to see myself through the power of God. Then there are other times when I seek to do things on my own, and I also forget to lean on God's strength and His power. I think self-righteousness is one of the most prideful sins, and I am trying hard to lean on the finished work of the cross...instead of my own willpower to overcome (or in false humility, by dwelling on all my weaknesses). I think the best answer to sum it all up is when we look to Jesus, His power and strength, His righteousness that He has freely given to us, and lean on these things...that this is the most effective way to walk in humility. Mostly seeing that we NEED Him for these things! HE gets the glory for our victories, and HE gets the glory for our confidence!! Its all b/c of HIM! :glory:

AMEN and AMEN Daisy!!! Totally agree with you.

Jst to mention another snicky one that is so often overlooked and ignored - complaining and murmuring. I am one of the biggest offenders in this area. Yet, the Lord commands us not co complain! And again, I simply could not stop complaining till the Lord started to show me what He has done already and that I have absolutely no reason for any complaining.
I believe that complaining is branching from the same stem/root - pride! Spend time with the Lord, ask Him daily to shed His Light on what He has done for you and then you'll simply not even feel like doing anything but praising Him all the time!