Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boscoe Jenkins

Devotion....NEED SOME GUIDANCE ON THIS TOPIC

I was wondering does anyone have or know any scriptures on devotion? I have a close friend tht is gifted & always gives me advice & guidance. She told me tht I neef to learn to be devoted to myself first & realize tht the most important love of all comes from God. When looking at my bible I dnt know where to begin so im asking for hlp as to where I should strt..i would like to bein with devoting to myself more.

I'm not sure what she's saying about "being devoted to self first" The Bible says to seek FIRST the Kingdom of God and HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS and everything else will be added to you.

I think the problem with the world today is that people ARE self seeking and VERY devoted to self. No one cares about anyone else...mostly. So maybe I'm misunderstanding what is being said.

Let me know...

she ment tht I dnt show enough devotion to myself when it comes to little and simple stuff.....she said tht gods strength is within me & tht I need to learn to love him first...srry, I thnk I wrote tht msg above wrong...i fell off track a bit so I need some hlp getting back. :D

Well it seems as though she's saying a couple of things here. First, we SHOULD take care of ourselves. She just caught me off guard with the word "devotion". The Bible says that you should love your neighbor AS YOURSELF. It's safe to say that if you don't love yourself, it's going to be hard for you to love your neighbor.

As far as learning to love God, I think we won't ever truly love God in the way that he deserves because we have human love...which is conditional. There is a scripture that has recently opened my eyes to this topic.

He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:8-10)

The bolded/underlined portion of this verse is saying that God wants us to KNOW HIM. In KNOWING Him, we will know LOVE because HE IS LOVE. He's more interested that we know Him as love than us loving Him. To know Him IS TO Love Him.

So what I would say to you is Knowing God is the extreme foundation to loving Him and loving yourself. When you recognize that God makes no mistakes in His creating you and that you are here as an expression of love from Him to this world...it will be hard for you to speak ill of yourself or think badly about yourself. How can you when you KNOW HIM and understand that everything He does is LOVE?

Just something to think about.

By the way...your devotion is to Him. From that, everything else is birthed.

I think devotions has turned into something of a chore to be checked off the list instead of a true search for God because of your love and devotion. I would say what Cholette said... just seek God first and foremost with your heart. It doesn't have to be one way or the other. It can be by watching a great preacher, reading or studying your bible, singing or listening to praise, praying.... or any other thing that you feel like doing that will bring you into God's presence.

Wow, god is good! Thank you mia for posting this reply. I am currently fasting. My goal was two days. My first day was friday. So far its hard on me mentally because its hard to focus mentally when your mind is all jumbled up. I thank you for the confirmation its omforting to know that im somewhat doing this the right way!!

I felt this overwhelmingly strongly and I know I have to tell this to you, BJ:
BJ, you've GOT IT, girl! You have what it takes to get where you were created to be. You are going to SOAR like an eagel!
Right now where it seems like so much is coming against you, where many people would simply curl up in a fetal position, pull a blanket over their heads and stay there, you are just seeing it as a launching platform.
None of this junk is going to stop you. You are going to raise up and crush it all. None of that will ever stop you. You are a mighty warrior and satan is terrified of you. Nothing he can do to ever stop or hurt you because your Lord and Savior is with you, for you and He always be there right beside you. He sees you as a STRONG WARRIOR that has what it takes.
Don't pay any attention to what's against you, it's just shadows. Look at your Savior, look at Jesus only and you will be amazed where He will take you, there is NO LIMIT for you in Jesus, you will soar with His so high you never thought it was possible and it won't take long before yu'll see this.

This is the word personally for you BJ, I don't think I've ever received anything like this before. It's not some general "cheering up" for "a Christian", but personally for you. Wow! I am amazed myself.

im giving u ladies an update in how im doing with this fast. I woke up this morning tossing and turning. I kept having this reocurring dream that god was showing me one way to handle a situation and his way to handle it. He was so kind in showing me how to do it & patient. Im so not used to that lol. He just brought this back to me because at first i couldnt remember what the dream was about. I kept tossing and turning i didnt feel good. I looked at the time 4:58am i was told to get some water. As i was drinking the water i felt worse. Head started swimming , felt like i was gonna be sick & faint. I thought i was gonna panic so i went to my room. Dropped to my knees & told god whatever u want u can have it i submit everything. My flesh, anything that he thinks is not of him he can have it just make whatever this is go away. Im stubborn i dont like to cave but i think thos morning i did. I dont care how he had to do it i needed something's broken & torn down!. I went back to sleep and when i woke up it was so still and quiet in my mind. This is my first time doing this on my own. If im able to go to church tomorrow morning im debating if i should extendthe fast to one more day. I think it would be easier for me to recieve gods word. Not trying to get ahead of myself though. Still kinda shaken up about this morning. Astra, thank you for those words that is very encouraging. Thank u ladies for your support! :D

BJ, they weren't my words. I heard / "felt" them in my spirit. It's hard to describe :-) I believe they were spoken to me by His Spirit for you, all I did was just "forward" them to you. I don't think I ever prophesied before but I am pretty sure this is what it was and yes, this IS so encouraging!
You are soooo blessed!!!

lol! That is what I feel when the Lord speaks... a bubble in my spirit blows up so that I can feel it at the same time that the words keep rolling around in me until I utter them which makes it pretty easy to tell the difference between our thoughts and our feelings.

Hi Mia, I think you just described it precisely :-) Kind of weird at first though but sooo cool :-). I'm not used to hearig these things about another person, but it's GREAT

:-) The trick is to say it right away before I had time to chicken out of it :-)))

lol :) i understand! I really appreciate it. I have church in the morning so i think im going to push for one more day on this fast. That will be my last day. :)

It went great! I ended it in the afternoon. Hit a bump while ending it. Cnt do solids right away lol (lesson learned) i am happy im just glad that i made the choice to do it thats when i was hit the most but God kept me the entire way.....WE did it! I feel open in some way its hard to explain feels like i tapped into something u know? & im sure the Lord will reveal it to me over time :D I would like to continue to do this so i can keep getting closer to the lord, & just to spend time with him. Thank you ladies for all your hlp & guidance! More than appreciated.

I do know!

I know how instrumental fasting can be. I think I'm going to do a piece about Daniel fasting and what benefit I received from that.