Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoonie

Kitty's Kitchen

As you know both Mr and Mrs Zoonie enjoy cooking (and eating) and so do our pets. My OH (the IMOM) has suggested posting your cookery tips to share with Kitty of C&G Stores, and she will cook something for you as a reward (be patient, she's learning from us, so she's only up to soup so far)

kitty_10.jpg

Kitty will start with her tip for saving your eyes from streaming when you cut or chop lots of onions (as I've just done) Wipe your knife both sides with the surface of a cut lemon. Cut a small piece of lemon and tuck in your mouth between the front of your teeth and your lips - keep it there as you chop or slice

(IMOM says the added benefit is that it keeps his sous chef quiet as well - bloomin cheek!)

he he he ..... Cute idea Gill!!

Tanya's tip of the day .....

If you drop a raw egg on the counter or floor, cover it with table salt and it picks up easily.......Or you could just call the dog ...... lol Smile

my tip of the day:
if you want to put an egg in a bottle, keep it in a bowl of vinegard for a day
if you don't sucseed, use tanya's tip Smile

Frannie's Tip of the day

If you've been smashing or slicing garlic and your hands are smelly - rinse with water and then run them along the stainless steel sink sides, or the faucet itself. Voila! neutralized!

TanyaRC wrote:
he he he ..... Cute idea Gill!!

Tanya's tip of the day .....

If you drop a raw egg on the counter or floor, cover it with table salt and it picks up easily.......Or you could just call the dog ...... lol Smile

tweet40 wrote:
my tip of the day:
if you want to put an egg in a bottle, keep it in a bowl of vinegard for a day
if you don't sucseed, use tanya's tip Smile

There's a programme called Come Dine With Me on British TV. 4 or sometimes 5 strangers are put together and have to cook a 3 course meal for each other on successive nights (too much food!!!) - each night the guests vote a score in secret, and at the end of the week the cook with the highest number of votes wins £1,000.

They do a Celebrity version too, with the prize money going to a charity of the winner's choice.

Anyway, one of the contestants spilt raw egg on the floor this week, and he gave it to the cat - that would never have occurred to me!

Frannie wrote:
Frannie's Tip of the day

If you've been smashing or slicing garlic and your hands are smelly - rinse with water and then run them along the stainless steel sink sides, or the faucet itself. Voila! neutralized!

I now have a vision of you caressing the sink Frannie Laughing

Over here you can buy these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zwilling-J-Henckels-Matt-polished-Stainless/dp/B002DGTI0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1264327780&sr=8-1

By the way, over here we call your faucet, the tap (mixer tap, or hot and cold taps) - that's another one to go with 'airing cupboard' lol.

Soup ladies?

When I cook, there is usually a cat around .... Anything that hits the floor is gone quickly .....

More tips on eggs:

If you're not sure, test the freshness of eggs by placing them in a deep bowl of water

an egg that sinks and lies on the bottom of the bowl, is fresh
if it lies on the bottom of the bowl, but tilts - it's ok to use
an egg that floats should be disguarded

The thing that took me ages to cotton on to is that you should always wash your hands after handling eggs, due to the amount of bacteria that can be present on the shells...you only have to think of the journey they make to realise really

Wow, i just learned a lot!!

: D

and awesome garlic tip!! I always have the smell of garlic on me for days, and try to rinse it off with lemon juice, like you would do for onions, but it does not work!
Next time I will just feel up the sink!

Tip of the Day
The distinction between herbs and spices is that herbs refers to the
leafy green parts of a plant, and spices refers to other parts of the
plant such as seeds, berries, bark, root, fruit and sometimes dried
leaves. They add wonderful flavours to foods and make them interesting.

Just wanting to come in here and thank Frannie for the garlic tip!

tried it and it worked like MAGIC!

However I was DYING laughing while feeling up my sink, but worth it to avoid garlic-y hands for 2 or so days!!!

Next tip, always tore your knives in a rack, block or magnetic strip, not in a drawer, both for safety reasons and so as not to dull, blunt or damage, the edges.

Ooh what a great idea!!

I have a couple of tips too:

Did you know that you can freeze marshmallows ...once thawed they taste just as they do when bought fresh....so if you buy too many freeze em!

If you overcook cookies or biscuits place them in an air tight bag with a slice of fresh bread and leave overnight - apparently the cookies absor the moisture from the bread! I'm not much of a baker, so I've never tried this but my friend says it works Smile

I'll have to think of something other than home cooked food for those tips Wish, seeing as you're going great guns on the cookery front, and I'm not Laughing

Hee hee - it's ok - I really don't need any more food Wish and I are getting fat from all the cooking :-)

inu-kijo wrote:
Just wanting to come in here and thank Frannie for the garlic tip!

tried it and it worked like MAGIC!

However I was DYING laughing while feeling up my sink, but worth it to avoid garlic-y hands for 2 or so days!!!

isn't it cool how that works?