Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CCforDC

House of Blues recap(s)

I figured since the other HOB thread was about to hit the 40 page limit, and there are some of us who just got back and haven't posted about it yet, might as well start another one for the recaps. Laughing

This will be long because I like details of the needless sort. Laughing

So, first of all, all I have to say is that this show was certainly worth the 2 plane rides, the money, the lack of sleep ect ect. It was just stunning, plain and simple.

I had to work until nearly 1 AM on Saturday and had to be at the airport but 5:30 AM so by time David left the stage last night, I was going on 36 hours without sleep. At one point while waiting in line at HOB, I crashed out right on the sidewalk. Laughing We got to Downtown Disney at around 11 and hung around a bit, waiting for Amanda's flight to get in and for her to meet up with us at HOB. We went to the Vigin Megastore and checked out the placement of the CD, just to make sure we didn't have to do any rearranging, found him placed right in front of the entrance, proud and centered on the Best Sellers display so no work needed to be done. We also discovered that milkshakes in Disney cost $8.95. Wow!

Anyway, we had lunch plans at HOB to get the pass the line ticket, but then found out people were already lining up at noon, so we went and bought stuff at the giftshop to get the pass instead. I found a kick ass red and black shirt that can easily be worn at future David Cook shows, so at least the money spent for the pass the line was not on useless junk. We staked out our place in the line and then took turns venturing off here and there. I was standing by one of the back areas and heard David singing Declaration so on pure accident, I lucked out on hearing soundcheck. SCORE! Then suddenly I hear him switch to Man in a Box and I froze dead and my mouth fell open. David Cook doing Alice in Chains? God does love me. Great After listening to soundcheck I was trying to find the rest of our crew and saw Amanda heading into Virgin. We had talked about going up to get some coffee(there is a coffeeshop in the store) so I went over to see if that's where she was heading. I wandered around, didn't see her or anyone else I knew so I started to head to the escalator. I looked up and see a guy looking down at me and waving, it took me a second to realize it was Kyle. I waved back and was going to head up there to get the coffee I really wanted, but then saw Amanda around a corner. So I went to go see if she wanted to go get coffee with me, but saw she was talking to Andrew(Cook, not Skib..LOL) and didn't want to interrupt so I went to look around the store until she was done. Saw Andy, but he looked grouchy and was hiding behind some t-shirts and looking at country CDs. I didn't want to bug him as stalking people in stores is not my thing so I played with an Ipod display while waiting for Amanda. Laughing Amanda came over after saying bye to Andrew and we, for some reason left. I never did get my coffee.

We ended up right in the front row which made my t-shirt purchase even more worth it. Natasha performed first and her music is so not my thing and as talented as she is, I felt my mind slowly seeping into a mess of pop goo halfway through. Amanda and I got through it by sending David messages, asking him to hurry the hell up and get on stage. Laughing Gavin was next and I loved his set. He's a cool guy. Finally David and the boys came on. You all know about the set, so I won't go into details on that, but needless say, they were AMAZING! We were right under Andy and when they first came out he is standing at the piano, notices Daina, Amanda and I and gets a bit wide-eyed and makes a "what the hell" face while gesturing to us and then smiled big and waved. Apparently seeing people from NYC in Florida kinda confused him. Laughing David also looked down at us at one point and started waving and grinning. I guess they never heard of an airplane that allows people to travel or something. Laughing Kyle was of course hidding in the back but Amanda and I yelled out to him and he stood up a bit and waved his drumstick at us while smiling. My favorite part though(besides hearing Permanent live) was the Mouse Ears. I was kind of upset to be in Orlando and not be able to go to the parks(I'm a Disney freak) and I actually posted on here that I'd kill to see David in Mouseears and had sent a couple of the guys a message on Myspace about them "rocking some ears" so to see them all sporting Mouseears while singing LO, made my inner Disney freak very, very happy!

We left after David(boo to missing him on the Gavin encore) and kind of hung around to see what would happen. There were tons of fans by the gates and I kept saying,"if they bring Dave out here it will not be pretty". Everyone was kind of scattered around, not really stalking places but hanging with different peeps here and there. Our friend called and said, "Kyle is out back" so we started to head back to talk to him, and we did so nonchalantley, and just walked. Suddenly about 20 people started following us. It was crazy. We kept saying, "Um we are just going to meet up with our friends." But it didn't work and they saw Kyle before even we did. The girls with Kyle saw the crowd and said, "You better go," just as we came around the corner, he saw the crowd and started to book it, but then he saw us and pointed to us and leaned over and said, "I'll come back out to see you guys, ok?" Yeah, and that helped us convince the crowd that had followed us that we had no clue he had been there and were just lucky to have walked to where he was. Laughing We ended up all split up again and people were just kind of following whoever went somewhere, and I just sat on a bench and said, "Screw this." Laughing We heard David was coming around back by the gate so everyone went running, I was not running after anyone so I just kind of slowly meanandered. When I turned the corner I saw nothing but the top of David's head and people just all over him and the only thought in my head was, "Please God get him out of there now!" Thankfully I saw them push him behind the gate and slam it shut and my heart finally stopped racing, because I was honestly scared to death when I saw all those bodies and hands reaching for him.

Then we left and went to finally eat after not doing so all day, then I finally got to go sleep after 40 hours. It was a long/short trip but such as amazing time. Very Happy

Great long detailed recap, thank you! And the ears were indeed quite something! Laughing

I love your personalized commentary.

Thanks for giving us that, despite being worn (which I imagine you must be!).

Glad to know you had a great time even without sleep!
Thanks for sharing . Awww Love

keep297.jpg

Guest Guest

Thanks for sharing - it sounds like you all had a blast. I just locked the other thread before it could auto-split and left a link directing discussion to here. Smile

Aww, I was looking at David's myspace, and the Rose family left him this message: "It's amazing how much better Lindsey felt after seeing you."

Awww LoveCrying non-stop

Aww, I was looking at David's myspace, and the Rose family left him this message: "It's amazing how much better Lindsey felt after seeing you."

Awww LoveCrying non-stop

Awww Love that is so sweet!

Show review from Orlando Sentinel

Concert review: David Cook, Gavin Degraw, Natasha Bedingfield, Colbie Caillat

Quote :
Hey Santa, how about a bit more David Cook for Christmas?

And, while you’re at it, how about throwing in some Gavin Degraw and Natasha Bedingfield?

The trio lit up the stage at the House of Blues on Sunday night, setting up Colbie Caillat during XL106.7 FMs sold-out “Baby DJ” holiday fundraising concert.

But, it was Caillat that will need to stick around Santa’s workshop to learn some more.

A simple list of lessons Caillat must learn:

1. Don’t let 40 minutes pass after an American Idol (Cook) leaves the stage. Especially during a four-hour concert, your fans want to keep things moving.

2. Engage your fans, not your band. You spent more time with your back to the crowd, playing with the guys you see throughout the tour, instead of touching the hands of your adoring fans. Don’t forget, they waited three hours to hear you sing.

3. You, of Mariah Carey and Jennifer Aniston looks, did get Degraw and Cook back on stage for a rendition of “Abc” by the Jackson 5. But, don’t wait nine songs into your set to use a stunt like this. It electrified the crowd and the rest of your set was much better. Don’t underestimate what feeding off fan energy can do to a performance.

4. If you are going to cover The Fugees’ “ Killing Me Softly,” make sure your guitarist (Justin Young) doesn’t out-sing you. There are no excuses for that, not with a set of pipes like you have.

Thankfully, Caillat had three resident pros to learn from on Sunday.

Beautiful Bedingfield
Rumor had it that the native of England had flown in late on Sunday night to even make it to the show, and fans should be thankful she literally went the extra mile. Her renditions of “Unwritten” and “Pocketful of Sunshine” were not spot on vocally, but were perfect in delivery and performance. The set was entirely too short, lasting only six songs and less than 30 minutes. Flopping Bedingfield and Caillat would have resolved this problem, especially considering Bedingfield has much more material to work with.

Delightful Degraw
Degraw, the only artist to take the stage by himself, proved that he can still get the ladies screaming, using his boyish charm throughout most of his songs. Every time he stood up, or stuck his tongue out or engaged in crowd sing-along, he was met with a chorus of yelps. While Degraw is well-known for his play at the piano, it was on his guitar that he performed “Young Love,” the best song of his night. Degraw is more of a storyteller than a musician, and he seems to get lost in his own songs, making them much more emotional.

He’s Cookin’
Performing on America’s biggest stage has helped Cook with stage presence, and he was fun to watch on Sunday. From a call for all cell phones to be swung like lighters during “Light On” to forcing all band members to wear Mickey Mouse ears during the song, Cook didn’t take himself too seriously. Despite the acoustic nature of the gig, Cook was also determined to show the band’s “rock” status, highlighted by a great cover of “Man in the Box” by Alice In Chains. Like Bedingfield, Cook’s time on stage was entirely too short, lasting only seven songs.

So, Santa, Orlando needs more. Will they fit in your gift sack?

wow... Great review!!! Didn't stay for Colbie myself, so can't tell whether or not the reviewer was hard on her... but since he's so good to our Davey, he must be a smart person Smile

Chel, great recap. I loved the part where they recognized you guys and were surprised to see you in FL after seeing you in NYC. And I am a huge Disney fan as well. Although I have never been to WDW. I usd to go to Disney Land every year when I lived in Phoenix. So I love the fact that they wore mouse ears. Glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

You know how it is. We live for this stuff.

That was a great review. I also didn't stay for Colbie but sounds to me like we made the right decision NOT to stay. Yeah, we need us some more Cookie down here in FL!

Did anyone see this video of David performing with Colbie Callait.

He says "This is what happens when you stick around". Also check out his little dance in the very beginning. (You have to watch Colbie Callait for a while before David comes on for the next number.)

The cover that David Cook did on “Man in the Box” by Alice In Chains... I have a question...

what is meant by "Jesus Christ, deny Your Maker"???? Huh??? Is this song encouraging us to deny our Father in Heaven who saves us? I'm just wondering, because I would have loved this song if it weren't for these words. I need someone to explain this to me...

Thanks--Squirrellygirl, out!

The lyrics have nothing to do with religion. The song was originally written about censorship and the inspiration for the lyrics were calves that are raised in boxes breed for the sole purpose of becoming veal. Calves that are breed for veal are kept in confined boxes and never see another calf, person, sun, grass ect. They only see the food that they are fed, hence the lyrics, "feed my eyes and sew them shut." The wailing lyrics of "Jesus Christ deny thy maker," are simply used as a plead or prayer for freedom.

The idea is that like the calves in boxes, censorship boxes in creativety and freedom and you loose identity, like a man locked in a box.

So no, the song is not telling anyone to deny Jesus or religion at all.

I've always liked the song, but felt guilty listening to it because of those words. I understand the concept, but asking Jesus Christ to deny His Maker is going way too far imo. I feel so bad about how the calves are treated, and other animals, too. This world is so cruel, and we have all partaken of its cruelty in some ways, sometimes unintentionally, but it is still cruel.

The lyrics don't ask to Jesus Christ to deny his maker. The lyrics are asking Jesus for help and guidence. The use of Jesus Christ is not in the "taking the lords name in vain" way, but in the using it as a "plea" way. Alice in Chains took a lot of heat when this song was released and they explained it over and over again.

Jesus Christ deny your Maker does not equal Jesus Christ help me or Father God help me. I still don't understand that part. I sense the writer's brilliance, but I need to understand how to listen to this song without feeling like I'm agreeing with denying my Maker, which I'll never do. If someone could explain this concept to me better, I would really appreciate it. I'm not stupid, and I'm usually really good at picking up things normally.

Guest Guest
Jesus Christ deny your Maker does not equal Jesus Christ help me or Father God help me. I still don't understand that part. I sense the writer's brilliance, but I need to understand how to listen to this song without feeling like I'm agreeing with denying my Maker, which I'll never do. If someone could explain this concept to me better, I would really appreciate it. I'm not stupid, and I'm usually really good at picking up things normally.

Think of the two different singers(in this case David and Andy) as having a conversation. David's part the main character is asking Jesus for guidance or help with the first lines of the song

Im the man in the box
Buried in my shit
Wont you come and save me, save me

Then in the chorus Andy's part as the antagonist tells him to deny his maker. David comes back with the line "He who tries, will be wasted".

I see the issue now. You're not seperating the lyrics, you're connecting the word "maker" with "Jesus Christ" and they are not connected in the lyrics. They are two parts of one conversation in the same mind. One side is saying, "Jesus help me," and the other is playing the desperate side and saying, "Deny thy maker" and then the one side comes back with "the one who tries will be wasted."

ETA-Yeah what Barb said as I was typing this. Laughing

Squirrely_girl, there's actually a response to your issue that I think provides a very satisfactory explanation over on dco.com -- Here's the link. Since this is an active thread, you may have to go further back than the page I've provided.

Look for the response dated Wed, 12/17/2008 - 02:31 by minstrel. It's about a primary and secondary voice and makes a lot of sense to me (as a former English major, at any rate Smile ).

http://www.davidcookofficial.com/content/mitb-language-and-will-smith-and-david?page=2

-Cimorene

editing because I posted Atlanta things here,I guess I was sleepy. Laughing hystericall