Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilinjack

Went to Ponderosa Cafe today

I had a visit to make in Wolverhampton, which put me halfway to Llangollen, so come 12 o' clock & I thought I'd do the scenic ride home via the Horseshoe Pass. M54 & A5 came and went, and then the brief climb up the Horseshoe to the Ponderosa. What can I say-I was underwhelmed. That much vaunted road is only a few miles long, and consists of cattle grids, loose gravel on the bends, and sheep everywhere. Didn't bother taking pics even. As for the cafe itself, it reminded of those tearooms everybody gathered in on hols in Skeggy when it's raining again. All sat round in their hats & coats eating sausage sarnies. The sarnie left me feeling sick all the way home BTW. So, my advice-don't make a long trip to visit the Ponderosa or the Horseshoe Pass, they don't live up the hype. Blinding ride from Wrexham to Whitchurch on the A525 mind you then got lost in Stoke & finally made my way home through Ashbourne & Belper.280 miles all in, but most definitely something of a curate's egg. I'll stick to Derbyshire in future Smile

Honest Dave I had a better time yesterday driving the mrs out in the car. Went round Carsington, Dovedale, coffee in Tissington, back through Wirksworth. Much nicer. In fact that route's a deffo for next year I reckon

Honest Dave I had a better time yesterday driving the mrs out in the car. Went round Carsington, Dovedale, coffee in Tissington, back through Wirksworth. Much nicer. In fact that route's a deffo for next year I reckon

yes we will do it m8, how is the Mrs anyway m8 ?

Done the Horse shoe pass a few times as its not that far from me and have to agree not that impressive

Have to agree Alan, called in a few times on our way to and from Wales, not impressed, comparing it to the Skeggy cafes of old is spot on .... on the other hand there are some decent roads to and from there which I think makes up for the disappointing cafe.