Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skrach86

Thoughts on a CBR Blackbird 1100

Right ive got the chance of a cbr superblackbird 1100, its in good nick, done 86,000 miles, new rad, chain sprockets, service etc, t and t till june, and decent tread on tyres. Hes wanting 1400 but said he would consider a lower offer. I took it out for a test ride friday and it runs sweet and is quick!!!
I looked at them a few months back but decided not to cus they were all around 2.5k.
Its a w reg so early 2000.
So what do you think, its someone i know and he aint advertising, i think its a bargain. pint

not best lookers, but from what ive been told they are great bikes!! just 86k if it was me i wouldnt as that would bug me, as thats pretty high. but fullow your heart mate!

Stonking bike mate, if it's been looked after even 86k is no major worry-it should go that far again really. They are a bit prone to reg/rectifiers going, can be replaced around the £50-60 mark IIRC.
I'd check on price due to the mileage but yes, it's prob around £1k under typical W plate B/bird money. Just make sure the brakes are in good nick as the Honda linked braking can be an arse to sort out if it gives trouble. Smile

yeh it does seem high to me, but ive looked around and the general thoughts are that they go well over 100 grand easily, at the end of the day its just a bike for this year that will hold its value, i wont be doin massive miles on it. I think its worth a go, but advice greatly appreciated. thumbs

Will, my ZZR1200 is coming up on 57k and is still sweet as a nut. Lots of guys on the ZZR forum have topped 100k without problems. B/birds, Pans, VFR800s are all better built bikes than a ZZR so if the money's right, the mileage wouldn't worry me unduly. Smile

86,000 is nothing for a 'bird, just run in and £1400 or less is a bargain, they're bulletproof and as long as it looks well looked after there should be no problem, as mentioned above the only thing you've got to worry about is it the right colour? Laughing .
Just think what you want it for, they are a ballistic big heavy comfy sports tourer that takes a bit of hustling to just pootle about on, great if you're into doing a lot of touring miles if not they aren't really an everyday bike.
Had one for 3 years but had to get rid because of duff knees, one thing you have to check is has it had the loom mod done, FI birds have a crappy test connector hidden in the loom that can cause all kinds of problem. My bike had it and I was the first brave/stupid enough to hack the loom and sort it, turned out to be easy really and my "loom fix" post has been copied all over the 'bird forums. Give me a shout if you get it and want it checking.
http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/forum/showthread.php?t=16438

edit - just noticed your age, I'd check what the insurance is going to be first dude before you go too far into it, you may get a nasty shock Shocked

its red, and dont worry about insurance, been riding for comin up 4 yrs, got my no claims, the best price i have is, £368 t p f t.
my current insurers wont swap from my old bandit to a bird because apparently a b6 is a learner bike and a b bird is to powerful for someone my age! i told him to get stuffed in polite mans english, but... my insurance that is still going for my sold bandit finishes in july so three months left, i cant jack it in as i,ll lose my no claims ive built up, so i may be gettin something around the 600/750cc range to tide me over for the next few months and hopefully the bird will still be up for sale, then i,ll swap insurers and get the bird. Thats the plan anyway. I nearly went mntal at the insurance guy on the phone, patronising prick. I could be a flaming gp rider for all he knows. i wish.......

I would take it for a longish test ride if I were you, I had an 03 one and while the engine was great it was the most uncomfortable bike I have ever owned and I sold it for that reason also mine had to have a new gearbox at 70,000 it kept slipping out of top gear.
Keith