Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lee1

Am I mad

right here goes this may come as a bit of a shock to some

Im really considering selling my bike,why I here some of you say

here goes,for the last 6/7 year all I have done is buy bikes,make them look pretty and not use them,like they should be

haveing a nice looking bike is all good,but I seem to spend to much time tinkering ect ect

the wife works most weekends,and I have my lad 2 weekends in a row then miss a weekend
so really I get one weekend to my self to go out

so most weekends me and the lad,find ourselfs at a loose end

now my lad is 11 and seems to be showing,more of an intrest in bikes and wants to start comeing out on the bike
not possible on my current bike

so for these reasons,I feel the time has come to let the bike go,and get something else thats more sencible

dont get me wrong,it will be a sad day if I sell my bike,but reckon there will be better days been able to go out with me lad on a bike

this isnt definate yet but something thats niggling away at me

Not in the least mad mate. It looks like you're finally waking up the fact that riding bikes might just be more fun than perpetual farkling as the Americans call it. I don't have time to ride regularly and clean & polish to my heart's content, so I'm happy to have a few edges knocked off but get some mileage in. Try it, you'll like it! thumbs

kill two birds with one stone in simple way really i think, get a practical bike so you can still go out and enjoy it but enjoy spending time with your boy at the same time thumbs

Guest Guest
buying a bike you can actually use and enjoy doesnt seem mad, hell spending houres and £ on a bike youre too scared to ride in case it gets dirty or worse and cant use for you want seems mad.

Lee your not mad at all, whats more precious your son or a piece of metal not that you need to be told that... so as everyones as been saying above find two wheels that you both can enjoy and just go for it, you cant replace the years once spent, so im sure youll get a good price for her and youll have money to purchase another ride Very Happythumbs ps the memories of me and my dad and is endless lists of machines ile never forget Very Happythumbs

sounds like a good idea and youll be bonding more with your son,plenty of great practical bikes out there mate thumbs

Guest Guest

Yeah you're bonkers! Change the seat unit? Get him to help you... develop an interest in mechanical things too. My little story: chose to keep a twin seat on my bandit so my son could go on it. He won't go on it. I got the FZR so we could go out and have some fun. He just plays his face. I know he's your son and you want to do things with him but don't give up your individuality by getting rid of your pride and joy. If it was me, I'd change what I already have and get my son involved in doing the work WITH me. You are already a great dad, you're not mad for wanting to do things for your son and be a better dad and that's not mad at all. Just don't be too hasty. Ask him what he thinks thumbs

A bike is for riding if you are too interested in the building of one more than riding then buy a hack for restoration and a decent one for father and son then you have the best of both worlds or like Noz says just change the seat unit and get the lad to help.

@suzukijax wrote:
A bike is for riding if you are too interested in the building of one more than riding then buy a hack for restoration and a decent one for father and son then you have the best of both worlds or like Noz says just change the seat unit and get the lad to help.
agree

cheers for the comments all

yes this bike probably is my pride and joy

but think the main factor is,theres more to haveing a bike than makeing it look good

its not about been a good parent,and ive nothing to prove how well I can make a bike look

its about been abit more sensible,and haveing a bike that will suit two people
ie, son/mrs

Theres know way I could justify haveing another bike and running two cars

as said this is not definate yet,but is more than likely to happen

its just good to get other peoples thoughts on it,thankyou all thumbsthumbs

@dick65 wrote:
couldnt you sell one of the cars?
and make the wife walk to work LaughingLaughing

I dont have anywhere to keep another bike

I think you know the answer to this one for you and your mini me Very Happy

Just to let you know one of the guys coming to Holland (Assen) for the week at the end of June is bringing his 17 yr old son and the week before the 2 of them are off to France Le man on the bike camping and watching touring cars I think.

Never did anything like that with my dad at any age never mind 17 It must be fantastic (I've got 2 daughters not interested in bikes but fortunatly share my passion for sheffield wednesday)

mbike

"am i mad?"

yes but you have to do whats right at the time.
ive got 3 now and sometimes wonder why lol.

Guest Guest

Bandit is a great bike for that, tis a sports tourer after all. I did the Brighton Burn Up a couple of times with Aaron on the back, comfy back seat/pillion - why wouldn't it be suitable for your pillion? Looking at your pic and can't see why it would be a problem. Unless you're going to get an old man bike ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

NoZ wrote:
Bandit is a great bike for that, tis a sports tourer after all. I did the Brighton Burn Up a couple of times with Aaron on the back, comfy back seat/pillion - why wouldn't it be suitable for your pillion? Looking at your pic and can't see why it would be a problem. Unless you're going to get an old man bike ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
your right noz,the bandit is suitable with two seats

but not the one I have,it takes alot of looking after to keep it the way it looks

Im going to keep the bike till after the farmyard,im also going to borrow my mates xjr and take the lad out a few times

if I still feel the same and the lad enjoys it

then the bike is going,and Im going to treat myself to something else

Guest Guest

oh right, it's too shiny to maintain... gotcha. Can't you just sell the bling and replace with standard? XJR is a good bike, saw a nice almost standard GSX1400 yesterday... thumbs

Guest Guest

The thing is Lee, we need different things at different times in our lives. It doesn't mean we can't go back either.

I want a tourer now, our lad will be 17 next feb and hopefully a 125 and we can all go off together.

Get something that you will feel comfortable getting some scratches on, having him climb all over and be a work horse. You can't enjoy yourself if your worrying all the time about what might happen to the bike.

I think the two of you are going to have a wonderful time. party

Guest Guest
Rose wrote:
The thing is Lee, we need different things at different times in our lives. It doesn't mean we can't go back either.

tell that to a post op transexual.

Guest Guest
Julie, Julie, julie!!

Don't you know you can and its pickled!

Rose wrote:
Julie, Julie, julie!!

foflfoflfofl

@Stue11 wrote:
Rose wrote:
Julie, Julie, julie!!

foflfoflfofl
foflfoflfofl

I think you have answered your own question Lee, go for it and have fun mate

@airlock wrote:
Rose wrote:

tell that to a post op transexual.

pmsl foflfoflfofl