Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jimmywiz

brocken off belled nipple

woooo - juts found out that the rear calliper on my Xj should have 2 bleed nipples - but the top one has been broken off - how would i get that out and replace it or would it be best just to leave it and not worry

Caliper off, and use an eezee out stud extracted, quality on by Draper ect not a Chinease chocolate one, Very Happy , if that don't work drill out carefuly with a smaller drill and re tap. thumbs

Leave it be! If need be you can get a bleeding banjo bolt.I had one on a bandit caliper for years. It's a can of worms if the extractor method goes tits up

There's two bleed nipples for a reason, air at the back of the caliper can be very difficult to get rid of hence the need for an extra nipple.
The only probs you can have with an extractor is it snaps then you are in a bit of bother, that's why you need a quality extractor by Draper.
If you don't feel competent with an extractor it's real easy to drill out and retap the threads if necisary.
Just leaving be Its not a real option as you will need to bleed at some time prob the first time you change pads, if not your rear brake will head south rarther quickly. thumbs

There's two bleed nipples for a reason, air at the back of the caliper can be very difficult to get rid of hence the need for an extra nipple.
The only probs you can have with an extractor is it snaps then you are in a bit of bother, that's why you need a quality extractor by Draper.
If you don't feel competent with an extractor it's real easy to drill out and retap the threads if necisary.
Just leaving be Its not a real option as you will need to bleed at some time prob the first time you change pads, if not your rear brake will head south rarther quickly. thumbs

Hmmm - thats what im worried about - might just leave it for the time and look around for another one grrr

id change it just incase you need to bleed it in an emergency. and ive got some stud extractors ill give it a go when doion ya restrictors mate thumbs

id change it just incase you need to bleed it in an emergency. and ive got some stud extractors ill give it a go when doion ya restrictors mate thumbs

will have to get a new bleed nipple first m8 - and ya give it ago m8 if ya want when i get one

@jimmywiz wrote:

will have to get a new bleed nipple first m8 - and ya give it ago m8 if ya want when i get one

cant take it off and leave it will leak brake fluid

Find something the same thickness or thicker than the disc. Remote the caliper from the hanger and bleed it off the bike. This way you can have the remaining nipple at the top so the air automatically goes there. You can also jiggle it about as the hole between the 2 caliper halves is to the right I the piston as you look at it on te bike. Iv done it this way and had no problems. Another tip to extract the air is p bleed the system with a syringe. Ie draw the plaid through the nipple (being carefull not I empty te reservoir)

Like I said before my advice would be to leave it be. Another thing with the extractor thing is if the drill does to the end of the nipple onto the machines surface your shagged. It's not the threads that seal the fluid in but the machines surface on the nipple and inside the caliper.

Good luck.

look on ebay for a used caliper i got one for the RF last week . for £9 . came with hanger master cylider etc

agree
this is what i would do thumbs , that way you can take the one off that is broken , fix it in your own time and keep it as a spare