Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardH

another chain question

at some time in the near future, I need to buy a new chain.I haven't had to get one before so here is my question (it may be daft to some)
How does it arrive, is it joined or do I need to get a chain riveter?

Unless it's for a very ickle bike (which have split links in) all the chains I have bought have been 'open ended'. Yes a riveter is best but the new pin ends *can* be flared out with a hammer and punch, using a chunky lump hammer as a stop, behind the chain, but it's probably not a recommended method.

Chain riveters start at just upwards of a tenner, but these are best viewed as 'disposable', as the few sub £50 I've used have all been of questionable durability Rolling Eyes

@Davehutch wrote:
ITCHY wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
if its joined how you going to get it on Laughing

I thought it might go on like a pushbike
It has to go through the swinging arm normally m8
its not a bad job to do tbh mate, you need a chain riv tool but have a go your self im sure theres some guides on youtube. thumbs

If i were you mate let a garage fit it for you...its something you dont want to mess up Shockedthumbs

You can get endless, no riveting, or specified length which will need riveting and are by far the most popular now.
With the endless you will have to drop the swinger which is a pain.
Riveting can be a daughnting thing if you ain't done it befor but with a riveter it's easy, It can be done without a rivitor, which I do but needs to be done right and can be overdone and the link will lock up or worst.... thumbs

Alot of chain tools are not up to the job , i use a metal block behind the chain and a pin ball hammer , but done it like this for year , and a fair few also do it this away , M&P WILL RIVET IT FOR YOU BUT YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE THE SWING ARM . OUT but if it a braced swing arm like on the gsxr this will not work , hope that helps

Same here Gary , I always pean it with a hammer, done it for years and works every time.
I will add if you getting a chain don't be tempted to go for some of the cheaper chains, by D.i.D or similar, I heard some horror story's of the cheaper chains snapping under severe load ... And you don't want that.

rich just order a chain and sprocket set specfic to your bike then take it to a garage to get fitted,job done m8 thumbsthumbs

Wish you lived a bit closer Rich I'd do it for you as payback for the book you sent. thumbsthumbs

on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 pm
dick65
rich just order a chain and sprocket set specfic to your bike then take it to a garage to get fitted,job done m8
agree

@Stue11 wrote:
If i were you mate let a garage fit it for you...its something you dont want to mess up Shockedthumbs

Good advice there thumbs

taking it to a garage is always the safer option, but like many, a lump hammer on one side with the chain flat on it and give it a few taps with a small ball hammer till the pin flares over thumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
if its joined how you going to get it on Laughing

When I was at Triumph the chains were "endless" and so were fitted loosely around the swing arm before it was bolted in.