Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stantheman

paying your way in the world

im sick of trying to get board money off my two lads they are expected to pay £20 each per week for their board which includes all washing ironing food heating a room each electricity etc i paid this much 30 years ago and its like getting blood from a stone by the way they both have very good jobs that pay more than i get a week and the eldest has a brand new bmw ;rant over thanks for listening silent

Bloodyhell Stan they dont know how lucky they are ShockedShockedShocked

im sick of it mate theyre taking the p;ss the wife says its no big deal censored but i paid my mam every thursday night without fail when i lived at home

im sick of it mate theyre taking the p;ss the wife says its no big deal censored but i paid my mam every thursday night without fail when i lived at home
I know were ya coming from mate for sure thumbsthumbs

agree mate. It is a battle. Wouldn't be to bad if they weren't getting much, but on the money they're on, shouldn't be a struggle for them. You may have to remind them each week Laughing . But depends on whether it causes friction between you and the good lady scratch Haven't got an answer mate, unless you can get the good lady on board confused

my daughter is 17 and still at school my boy is 15 , I have said to them both when in work , £25 a week each and i hit a big head banghead bang wall you need to look after us , is what i get , kids to day affraidaffraidaffraid

Shocked I had to pay a tenner a week when I was on yts which was only £25.00 a week

then £25.00 a week when I started full time employment

you need to turn the gas and electric off stan

im sick of trying to get board money off my two lads they are expected to pay £20 each per week for their board which includes all washing ironing food heating a room each electricity etc i paid this much 30 years ago and its like getting blood from a stone by the way they both have very good jobs that pay more than i get a week and the eldest has a brand new bmw ;rant over thanks for listening silent

im with you there stan,i always paid my way when i lived at home,these days i leave it to the missus to sort out thumbs

Most young people are over-indulged, from childhood onwards,
When they are adults living at home, they expect the same treatment.
If it were me and my wife, I would expect to get her 'on-side' 1st, as it is a lost cause if there is no agreement between a couple.
The next step would be to have a family sit-down and discussion,on this subject.perhaps write down what would need to take place, with payments etc.
These young men need a wake up call, on the expenses you have to meet,to subsidise them and their life styles.
If they refuse to subscribe, then I would stop shopping for their food, and force them to do their own laundry etc.
Failing all these suggestions they'd have to find an alternative mug to sponge off.
Draconian ?? perhaps, but the situation is going to get worse.
Sorry to say this, but they don't seem to have respect for you and your wife.
P.S.
Like you, when I left school, (two weeks into my 15th birthday). I was apprenticed, and did a 48 hr week,--
my 1st pay was £2.18 shillings. of which I gave me mum £2.----
Tell them---£20- these days, don't buy one meal, out.. Shocked

Like goferit I left school at 15 (my dad actually paid £10 to release me!) My wage was £2 6s 8d and I had to give it to my mum unopened. She then gave me my bus fare and 2s 6d spending money. You and your wife need to show a united front. Then its pay up or ship out. They wouldnt even get a room share for less than £60 a week round here!

@dick65 wrote:

im with you there stan,i always paid my way when i lived at home,these days i leave it to the missus to sort out thumbs
i did leave it to the mrs dick but they know shes a soft touch anyway the youngest has just paid up to date after me badgering him earlier thumbs

So let me get this straight... for 20 quid a week they get 'all washing ironing food heating a room each electricity etc'?

I know, kick 'em out and I'll move in and pay you £30 a week. After what we've paid out today in gas, leccy, phone etc that sounds like a bargain to me. And we have to do our own washing, ironing and cooking. Please send your address asap. Cheers

My first full time job paid 19 quid a week and I turned over a tenner a week to my Mum. When my wages went up to £26 a week I felt like a millionaire! Then I got stupid and moved out. Doh head bang

Easy solution - have them set up a direct debit to you! May sound a bit mad, but I tried it and it helps no end - you're not chasing them all the time, they don't physically hand it over so sulk less and it just becomes another bill to them, rather than something personal thumbs

I think that the "feel free to censored off and rent something yourself" coversation is something that almost everybody has - and they either do -and flounce off into a world of early skintness, or do the maths first and stop whinging!

£20 a week is an utter bargain though IMO.

@Macie_UK wrote:
Easy solution - have them set up a direct debit to you! May sound a bit mad, but I tried it and it helps no end - you're not chasing them all the time, they don't physically hand it over so sulk less and it just becomes another bill to them, rather than something personal thumbs

Had never thought of that. Sounds like a good idea thumbsthumbs

Congrats on the badgering as well thumbsLaughingthumbs