Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chadatious

new job?

okay as most of you know i need a job in a body shop to get onto the next level of my course.

Good news i have been offerd a job, its not set hours, and pay its paied by what the job is etc.

bad bit is hes not isnured to take on employees, so i would have to take the cash and pay my own tax returns, and liability insurance.

what worries me is ill pay these then he will drop me, and due to being self em0ployed id have to pay my own college fee what is £1700.

my tutors said go for it as its a foot in the door, im going to talk to an administrator? i think its called??

what do you guys reckon its the job i want to do its that or wait to see if an apprenticeship comes up, but if it doesnt im stuck on minimum wage in a hotel, when i know its a big risk but do we get anywhere in life without taking that risk?

bad bit is he's not insured to take on employees, so I would have to take the cash and pay my own tax returns, and liability insurance.

Well the sorting out of your own tax returns and NI isn't too painful unless you fly over the VAT threshold, and being self employed does carry with it some benefits.

Be very aware about his insurance liability position though, because even if you are a self employed subby, the HSE will deem him liable as an employee if:

* he has the right to control where and when they work and how you do it;
* he supplies your work materials and equipment;
* he requires that you only deliver the service and you cannot employ a substitute if you are unable to do the work
* you work exclusively for him

All relevant blurb will be on the HSE website.

what worries me is ill pay these then he will drop me, and due to being self employed I'd have to pay my own college fee what is £1700.

Who would pay the fees if you were employed normally - the employer or the government? On the plus you could more than likely offset training costs against any income tax liability if you were self employed.

The dropping of subbies, you can't do owt about mate, everyone from Tesco downwards does it.

Employer as I'm 19. And I'm lost so it would be illegal then? That's what I don't wana do

@Davehutch wrote:
I dont think it will work chad , he will use you , and only use you when he wants too , You need a P.A.Y.E> job m8 thumbs

I totally agree with Dave on this, a similar situation occurred with my grandson, and when it suited the company, they just laid him off, without even an explanation,(they gave him the crap jobs to do, as well). luckily for him he got re-placed back into collage.

A leap of faith , is one thing, Chad', but a safety net is always advisable..
Believe me, being sell employed isn't an easy venture, especially in the early days..
Caution advised on this one young fella---good luck to you.

Employer as I'm 19. And I'm lost so it would be illegal then? That's what I don't wana do

Not for you no, but his point about not needing employer's liability insurance is basically a sack of censored if any of the points made apply - so to be legit he will have to have it. This leaves the only reason he *doesn't* want to take you on 'on the books' is so he can reduce his costs (you) on a whim. If he is already thinking of an exit strategy, I'd personally not bother if I were you.

I know it's what you want to do long term, but it's good to let someone else worry about where your wages are coming from this week! Keep plugging away for a proper placement mate, it'll work out thumbs

crap :/ finally thought i was going somewhere. im going to talk to jameses mum tonight an administrator, and ill talk to the bloke, saying im interested but as an employee, hes up to his neck in it, if i can show how hard i can work etc you never know,

i wont give up just try to meet him half way thumbs

carry on looking chad I would give it a miss

good luck with finding some work dont give up thumbsthumbs

everyone here saying miss it, but then tutors, and others saying go for it as at the min getting a work placemenbt for the college is like gold dust, and like dad said will it be this or stuck at that hotel head banghead bang

Just do what feels right m8, Your only 19 (right) so if it goes t*ts up you have time on your side thumbs

You will be self employed is that a bad thing?

You wont know if you dont try Chad.

give it a try, it may be on the up an up, but be aware off pitfalls and keep looking for a job on the books

worth a shot chad but dont rush anything thumbs you only pay tax when you earn so much anyway thumbs

okay spoke to james' mum and she said circumstances dont make me self employed, so unless its going to be legal ill have to give it a miss

i think you can earn a certain ammount before having to pay any tax or NI, i did look into it a few years back. i know this year its something like £8,000 before having to pay any income tax on as it comes under personal allowance? worth checking on HM Revenue & customs website if you are thinking about it Smile

All sorts of advice and thoughts about whether or not to take it, so I won't go into that here. All I'll say is what has been said before. You're own tax returns etc aren't that bad to do and are actually fairly simple. If you do go this route, any work you get paid for, put 25% of what you get paid straight into the bank and leave it. That should be enough to cover your Tax and NI liability. Yes there is an earnings limit below which you don't pay tax, but it's never good to just put money away after you've reached that limit. Do it with everything and you shouldn't have a problem. If you need a hand with it, let me know thumbs