Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robbie

Stone chip protection

Well after owning the Z now for 12 months Shocked I know time goes quick. I have picked up a few stone chips, mainly on the front mud guard and just under the headlight. This had really pee'd me off so I looked into vinyl wrapping the bike, they do it to cars to change the colour or to make them look chrome. (check youtube)
All I wanted though was the clear stuff just to protect the paint so good old ebay came up with what I needed. Which was 3 metres of 3M vinyl 10cm wide. Could have done with maybe being a bit wider but needless to say it was good enough.
I would highly recommend anyone wanting to protect their paint in using this stuff but It's very time consuming.
It's the first time I have done this so I watched a few youtube vids first.
Here's a few pics I took.
In brief you use some soapy water to help eliminate the air bubbles (to which I still have a few, I'm still a noob Laughing ) Apply the vinyl, rub out the bubbles and use a hot air gun to make the vinyl more pliable, a squeegee and a lot of patience.
Hopefully you can see it in the few pics I took as it was hard to pick up once it was fitted. Just look for the air bubbles lol.
I did the heel guards and the side of the tank too but no pics.

Nice job ROB as your say a fair bit of work but it looks well thumbsthumbs

its good stuff this and worth every penny.. ive fitted it to a few bikes over the years and the only advice i can offer is make sure when you handle it that your hands are soaking wet with the soapy water mix to avoid fingerprints

good idea that, and its shiney thumbs

i had deep chips and good tip, drop of base, flat, drop of 2k clear coat, with a tiny brish, flat it, and polsih it, almost gone Wink worked well for me