Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CraiGDaniel

zzr 600 took tank off now this (video)

youtu.be/K0PY0mYpSLQ

Any ideas? Bike working fine prior to tank removal. All tubes on fine can't figure it out. Wont start without choke or big revs and will die without choke.

Update: All pipes are not kinked or have any obstructions. Tried running with fuel cap open so rules breathers out?

Cheers Dave. Yeh that's where i was heading..

What are the steps to diagnosing this? The bike run lovely before i took the tank off !!!

Cheers

Are you absolutely sure you put the pipes back on correctly? Don't know the specifics of a ZZR600 but it may be you have the vacuum tube on wrong, which prevents fuel from flowing through the tap. Smile

PS I did that with my Bandit-I'd pulled the vacuum tube off at the carburettor end when lifting the tank. Follow the tubes to their ends to check.

Is it a D or an E ? I know the Es have 3 pipes to the fuel tap which are fairly easy to mix up, but I *think* that the D models had a straightforward one pipe arrangement. Did you just take off the outlet pipe from the fuel tap or all of them?

I think the D just has an outlet pipe and a vacuum hose that goes to the carbs, but it's been a while....

On the E models check the pipes are fitted back correctly and there should be a fuel filter inside each feed pipe, or at least an inline one. It's possible that these are full of crud that was disturbed by pulling the tank, have a look and a clean if necessary.

Hi thanks all.

It's a D model (91) and yeh the pipes have to be on correct locations as they dont reach / fit on anything else.

I really don't know where to start !!

Hi thanks all.

It's a D model (91) and yeh the pipes have to be on correct locations as they dont reach / fit on anything else.

I really don't know where to start !!

Sell it and buy a black bandit fofl

Well if you haven't taken the airbox or anything else off, it's either a fairly big coincidence or it's the pipes. If the D models had a vacuum operated tap, with one of the hoses providing a the sucking from the carb inlet side just double check the security of that pipe as any air leak will play havoc with the flow.

That or a blocked filter (there might be one in the top of the fuel tap) is still my best guess.
Failing that, see if it has the same symptoms with the fuel cap open.

Just had the fuel tap off - filter is all intact. Fuel is running out of the engine and into the pipes fine just as it should thumbs

Running bike with petrol cap open doesn't make a difference either !! Also i've gone over the vacuum hose with a magnifying glass and bright led. I can't imagine i missed anything and it's all in tact.

I ran the engine without a tank on it until it sputtered and died (obviously burn the last bit of fuel in the carbs) is there a chance i've dried the carbs out and it's left gunk in them causing blockages?

Well not dried out as such, but quite possibly dislodged some crud. Might be worth draining the float bowls (screw on the bottom edge of each) though the last time I had crap in the carbs it didn't help and they needed a proper strip down.

Also, if the tap has a prime position on it, use that to refill the carbs after they have been emptied - may take 5 minutes or so.

@Macie_UK wrote:
Well not dried out as such, but quite possibly dislodged some crud. Might be worth draining the float bowls (screw on the bottom edge of each) though the last time I had crap in the carbs it didn't help and they needed a proper strip down.

Also, if the tap has a prime position on it, use that to refill the carbs after they have been emptied - may take 5 minutes or so.

I'm confident to take the carbs apart strip and clean completely i just really dont want to go there.

Do you think running the bike on choke without tank until it dies (empty carbs) and then fill them with prime for 5 minutes will be worth a try?

If you drained the carbs they will need re-filling. Definitely turn the tap to prime. Give it a minute or so then start the bike. You can start it whilst it's still in prime but once its going turn back to on other wise you will flood it.

Don't think it's worth running them dry again, you might as well just drain the float bowls and kill 2 birds with one stone thumbs Then do the prime thing. When primed, as Robbie says, try starting it on prime and see if it's any better.

Any trips on draining the float bowls? ( im assuming carbs need to be out of bike ) never done this before.

Cheers

depends if you can get to the bottom of the carbs without actually removing them Smile theres a screw on the bottom of each carb, it should be a Philips screw 2 will be pointing left, 2 pointing right. Unscrew them and the fuel/dirt should drain out Smile put a rag under them else you will make a mess lol

Cheers fr499y.

Bit of an awkward spot. Will need to remove carbs now then. No idea how to do that either hohoho lol

Research time.

You can undo the float bowl drain screws with the carbs in place, however a long screwdriver makes things easier.

There is one on each carb float bowl and they are set at a slight angle to allow draining with the carbs in place, the drain screw is circled in the pic.

Before all this as it does sound like no fuel to the engine. Just get a bottle or a old lawn mower tank i use just this to set the carbs up . Put fuel in and run the bike up if runs ok the the carbs are fine and the engine is not get fuel from the tank .

heres a pic of the carbs so you got a idea of where they are Smile

@madsod wrote:
Before all this as it does sound like no fuel to the engine. Just get a bottle or a old lawn mower tank i use just this to set the carbs up . Put fuel in and run the bike up if runs ok the the carbs are fine and the engine is not get fuel from the tank .
would go with this before stripping anything thumbs

verify that the tap is operating correctly first by leaving the vac pipe on the fuel tap but pull the main fuel pipe off, small container to catch the fuel, turn her over and see if the tap flows fuel, if it does the taps ok and you can assume you are getting fuel into the carbs, if not flowing then its the vacume pipe or fuel tap.

might be worth checking that all the vac caps are secure on each carb, one outlet will prob have the tube to the fuel tap and the other 3 will be capped, well if its anything like the Bandit it will. thumbs

Before i got a chance to try any suggested methods, a 15 year old lad on my estate fixed the bike !!

I recruited him over as i remember hearing he built mini motos and that for fun asked him to have a look. He turned the idle screw and now the bloody things running great, idle's fine !!! Always the simplest bloody thing!!

I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone anyway. Put about 20 man hours into this for it to be the idle screw, slightly annoyed but chuffed aswell !!