Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirtydog

cb radio

Does any one no if its possible for a hand held walkie talkie to communicate with a normal cb radio..i mean do they both operate on the same fm frequencys

Thanks in advance
Ross

If you mean the PMR type walkie talkies, then I'd guess at "no" as UK CB channels live in the 27Mhz range and PMRs live up at 446Mhz.

What i need is someting i can wear/use whilst on my bike via ear piece etc to communicate with my mates on their normal cb radios fitted in the 4x4s....easier than keep stopping to find out whats going on lol

What you want to do is possible but it is very impractical.
1st you need to know if they are use cb,s which are the old 27/81 frequencies or the newer cept freqencies, once you know this you can get a hand held cb that covers the necessary frequency.
then you problems start, because of the wavelength of a 27mhz signal the antenna needs to be quite long,the short antenna on a hand held device will give very limited range but will still be too long to be practical on a bike,to get better range you will need a longer antenna upto 9 foot long and that will be rediculous on a bike and I think the law wouldnt be happy about it either Shocked

@Neill wrote:
What you want to do is possible but it is very impractical.
1st you need to know if they are use cb,s which are the old 27/81 frequencies or the newer cept freqencies, once you know this you can get a hand held cb that covers the necessary frequency.
then you problems start, because of the wavelength of a 27mhz signal the antenna needs to be quite long,the short antenna on a hand held device will give very limited range but will still be too long to be practical on a bike,to get better range you will need a longer antenna upto 9 foot long and that will be rediculous on a bike and I think the law wouldnt be happy about it either Shocked
i dont need a long range just need enough to communicate without keep stopping and arseing about lol

@Neill wrote:
to get better range you will need a longer antenna upto 9 foot long and that will be rediculous on a bike and I think the law wouldnt be happy about it either Shocked

Having been nicked for having a "Thunderpole 3" on a Yam RS125 many years ago, I can indeed confirm that plod are less than amused Embarassed

@Macie_UK wrote:
@Neill wrote:
to get better range you will need a longer antenna upto 9 foot long and that will be rediculous on a bike and I think the law wouldnt be happy about it either Shocked

Having been nicked for having a "Thunderpole 3" on a Yam RS125 many years ago, I can indeed confirm that plod are less than amused Embarassed
ShockedShockedfoflfoflfofl

@Macie_UK wrote:
@Neill wrote:

ShockedShockedShockedLaughingLaughing

@Macie_UK wrote:
@Neill wrote:

A thunder pole sounds like a dodgy blue movie from daves collection

I used to have a pair of bricks as they called them with ear pieces and internal speaker and a short rubber ariel 7" dont know if you can still get them, they were made by Midland and the range was good I used to use them at half a mile and they were clear as a bell.
Keith