• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

do you ???? (with poll )

Ive always done mine with just the weight of the bike,so thats my vote thumbs

This is how I do mine fast forward a little

thats how ive seen workshops do it to thumbs

surely it should be done with just the weight of the bike, as when suspension travels the chain will tighten?

if the case then if your sat on it, and the bike suspension travel jumps up a bit it would become slack and jump around more?

on my bike ramp/lift, with ratchet straps fron ramp to rear pegs tensioned slightly to imitate body weight, easy, but always done from side stand as per free play measurements, anyway, done like this for years

steve

"me too lee but people are telling me it should be with you sat on the bike"

They are WRONG Dave. Do it as per the handbook, on the sidestand. You will then still have sufficient slack with you sat on the bike and throughout the suspension travel. The chain will be tightest when the sprockets and swingarm pivot axle are in line - on the B-King that is when the main (lower) part of the swingarm is parallel with the ground which is suspension about half compressed. If you have 30mm free play on the sidestand you will, at this tightest point, have about 12mm free play, which is spot on. Suzuki did actually know what they were doing when they wrote the handbook, it's not a complete fabrication. In general you adjust with a fair bit of slack on the sidestand in the knowlecge that at the tightest point in throughout the suspension travel you'll still have enough slack without it being too much at the other extreme.

Just the weight of the bike itself. This adjustment will take into account any tightening expected during normal suspension travel and the manufacturer recommendation is usually right [1]. thumbs

When the bike is fully over loaded with luggage prior to a long trip, I will check it when compressed just to satisfy myself that it's not too tight, but other than that personal quirk, if you measure the free play correctly and in the right place then all will be good with the world.

[1] Unless it's the official Yamaha manual for the 13s R6, which incorrectly says that the rear sprocket nuts should be 100Nm. That's 172 pounds for a new carrier, please Sad

just the weight of the bike. thumbs wouldn't make any difference anyway for me lol

side stand thumbs did it on paddock stand once and it was too tight.