Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Davehutch-hutchs

tomtom V google maps on your phone

so whats the fors and againsts ?? I have always used my tomtom on my bike , but been playing with google maps on my phone and wonder when on my bike if i would be better of just using my pnone instead of taking the tomtom with me as i will always have the phone with me anyway , it will still fit in my tomtom holder and and wire up the same ?? Huh

I can't help you Dave I use a TomTom Rider expensive bit of kit but very good home and essential abroad.
It links to a wi fi scala headset.
And I keep it on even if no routes planned to let it remind me of speed cameras.

I guess you could rig up a power socket if room under your seat and then route a car charger to the phone .
What about sound do you have a Bluetooth headset that will go under helmet and does the App give speed cameras.

I wouldn't want my phone ringing in my ear or beeping with txt while I was riding.

Jim

@Grumpyowl wrote:
I can't help you Dave I use a TomTom Rider expensive bit of kit but very good home and essential abroad.
It links to a wi fi scala headset.
And I keep it on even if no routes planned to let it remind me of speed cameras.

I guess you could rig up a power socket if room under your seat and then route a car charger to the phone .
What about sound do you have a Bluetooth headset that will go under helmet and does the App give speed cameras.

I wouldn't want my phone ringing in my hear or beeping with txt while I was riding.

Jim
the wiring is not a problem will run of the setup for my tomtom, and my tomtom is out the car and i only use it visibly (no sound) , but it has got me all over the country with no probs

But cant the phone loose the signal ,where as the satnav is more reliable

to be honest dave I think useing the satnav is better thumbs

@lee wrote:
But cant the phone loose the signal ,where as the satnav is more reliable

to be honest dave I think useing the satnav is better thumbs

Have to agree with you there thumbs

dont need a signal for this as its loaded on the phone Very Happy

ok found out that google maps needs a connection and uses your data, i have been recommended freenav a android app , that only uses your GPS , first look at this looks good, and if it works out I can leave the tomtom at home and use my phone which i will always have on me

http://www.latestfreestuff.co.uk/free-car-stuff/free-sat-nav-app-for-iphone-ipad-and-android/

I used my phone when i came to your house for the ride out , and have used it on a good few trips , i have found it as good if not better then the sat nav , try it and see

I don't use my phone on the bike but I use it all the time in the car and with the GPS setting has never sent me a wrong way so it seems to work.
It helps my phone has a 5 inch screen though Very Happy

Ive just installed it on my phone dave,its more accurate than me satnav

my satnav wont find me house by the house number but the phone app did thumbs

@lee wrote:
Ive just installed it on my phone dave,its more accurate than me satnav

my satnav wont find me house by the house number but the phone app did thumbs

thumbs takes a bit of getting use to , but the bloke who put me on to it said it gets him all over the country with no probs

I use the tomtom rider on the bike and my phone in the car. I have Navfree and tom-tom apps on the phone both good but the tomtom one takes some beating. I didn't pay for the tomtom one by the way Wink

@Robbie wrote:
I use the tomtom rider on the bike and my phone in the car. I have Navfree and tom-tom apps on the phone both good but the tomtom one takes some beating. I didn't pay for the tomtom one by the way Wink
tell me more !

@Davehutch wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
tell me more !

About which bit ?

@Robbie wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:
@Robbie wrote:
tell me more !

About which bit ?
not paying for the tomtom bit Wink

Cut a long story short............

Jail broke phone, download free tom tom app, update app by mistake through iTunes, iTunes then charge me the full price of said app around £40. I contact iTunes saying my phone has a faulty touch screen and works randomly and downloaded Tom tom by mistake please remove it and refund me please, iTunes say oh dear that's not good here's a full refund and didn't delete it. Oops I still have the full app thumbs