Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike_63

1st Ride of the year

Some of you have seen this on Twitter / FB, but for those that haven't.....

Well the weekend before last I took the new bike out for a ride to see what it was like as I only rode it around the block when I bought it, so I booked on to a cheap track day at Cadwell Park.

Was only about 5 or 6 degrees, but it stayed dry and sunny all day thumbs which was handy as I was on a bike I didn't know, on a track I'd never seen and on tyres I hadn't used before Shocked

Lovely track, if a bit narrow, dead greasy in the morning because it gets no use over winter and I'd say that 95% of people there were actually racers getting some early doors practice in.

Tip-toeing around Barn corner. Note the cement dust in the distance where someone's engine let go in a big way.

Lines getting better.

Now that Mountain bit, you just can't understand how steep it is from TV. It's hard enough to walk up and there is a double crest as well, but I just about got the hang of it, getting quick enough to actively try and keep the bike down.

So the bike was fine, but still feeling dead rusty and wobbly after 5 months off a bike, I woke up on the Sunday at 5am and decided that as the van was still loaded, I'd go and do Mallory.

Start was delayed an hour or so due to ice on the track, but again it stayed dry and got a couple of sessions in to loosen up before lunch, but it was very busy with the day being full and having over a dozen on the reserve list.

Bit of an issue after lunch, when I highsided between Edwina's and the Esses Sad

The rear tyre just let go with no warning at all and that was that.

On the plus side, I'm just bruised and not broken, I had my 'spare' fairings on and I know that I won't be using that particular make of tyre again, unless they are new.

Also on the plus side I was only doing around 65-70, and as the previous right hander was the 130MPH exit of Gerrard's, it would have been a lot messier if it had gone then bigeyes

Fast forward to now, bike at least runs again after sorting out the damaged loom (which was handy really as we found a few other 'less than good' bits of wiring bodgery) and a lot of bits have now been fixed.

On the downside, I can't order any more stuff that I need (like a rad, expansion bottle, discs) until pay day on Friday, so then I have to hope the bits get here in time for the first round on the 10th mailbox

I'll have to live with the crunched tank though as they fetch at least £300 second hand.

Sorry for not posting much, I've been a bit busy Embarassed

Goes without saying glad you didn't get too beat up

Unlike the bike good luck with the rebuild

Thanks for the updates as and when you have time,

Good luck for the season I'm sure there will be people myself included coming along to give you support thumbs

racer2 Paint the bike blue might be luckier Laughing

awwhh man messed up the bike there m8,at least you walked away,better luck next time out. me and a couple of m8s did a trackday at cadwell last year we struck lucky and got a really hot dry day loved it.

Yea i seen this on your fb page Shocked and like i said on there least you were ok machines engines and fairings can be replaced thumbsthumbs

ShockedShocked as said least you walked away

Good luck for the rest of the season,hope ya get the bike sorted soon thumbs

Sorry to see that m8, but at least u get up and get on with it. good luck fro the season. thumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
Yea i seen this on your fb page Shocked and like i said on there least you were ok machines engines and fairings can be replaced thumbsthumbs

Cheers guys.. Apologies for not replying facebook Stu,, just been that hectic.

With my first race on march 10th, im in a panic to get the bike repaired and ready. Decals are going on Thursday so the bike has to be race ready by Weds morning..... I guess my weekend will involve hobbling around the garage with my poorly ankle while delegating Tea making duties to Macie_uk

@Mike_63 wrote:
....while delegating Tea making duties to Macie_uk

Why, have you crashed the kettle too?

@Mike_63 wrote:
@Stue11 wrote:

Cheers guys.. Apologies for not replying facebook Stu,, just been that hectic.

With my first race on march 10th, im in a panic to get the bike repaired and ready. Decals are going on Thursday so the bike has to be race ready by Weds morning..... I guess my weekend will involve hobbling around the garage with my poorly ankle while delegating Tea making duties to Macie_uk
Thats ok mate i feel for ya, you guys are brave and you risk everything to race i just wish i had the balls or even half the talent to try ShockedShocked