Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obalanga

what are my chances?

I walk to work so my bike is just for fun but to fund a trip to ireland in the summer I have been looking for a part time job. I went for an interview today at rolls royce (barlick) and they will let me know tomorrow. By chance I googled Rolls royce car park and an article flashes up. Earlier this month a landrover was stolen in the morning and a 700 pound bicycle in the afternoon. As I will have to use my bike to work.... what are my chances??

a good lock might deter folk and leave where it can be seen - hopefully security will have been stepped up

The article did say police have increased patrols in the area but I bet they never leave their cars. I've got a disc lock and a chain. I am considering buying a shitty old bike for work and gamble on whether the damned thing starts or gets me home in one piece.

How long is the job for? Could be worth buying a bike for work, then sell it once you've finished. May get your money back or at least not lose too much.

The job is ongoing and possibly permanent. I frankly don't know what that means nowadays.
I got one of those oxford screamer alarmed dics locks but they go off with the slightest gust of wind so i don't bother arming it. Having looked into trackers, they on seem to be good for lowering insurance policies and if you have a mate with a car and a cricket bat to chase after your bike as the coppers usually aren't interested. Am i being overly pessimistic or is today's world just shitty?

do the best you can and dont think about it too much. But yes, this world is shitty. Got robbed twice in 3 days, lost my new motorbike that i had for 3 weeks, and 2 bicycles worth close to a grand each. Get the best disc lock you can afford and don't worry too much. The alarmed ones wont stop someone snapping it off and stealing the bike, but a good quality one will ( Abus granit, Squire ML2L etc )

@fr499y wrote:
do the best you can and dont think about it too much. But yes, this world is shitty. Got robbed twice in 3 days, lost my new motorbike that i had for 3 weeks, and 2 bicycles worth close to a grand each. Get the best disc lock you can afford and don't worry too much. The alarmed ones wont stop someone snapping it off and stealing the bike, but a good quality one will ( Abus granit, Squire ML2L etc )

yeah pal, thanx for the advice. I feel for you man, i carried your reg number on my phone checking every similar bike wherever I went. Is the xj safe now?

Agree with most comments........ What about parking next to something worth more than yours ?. I've done that many a time. confused