Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obalanga

quick insurance question

Say I own bike A. I want to buy bike B in scotland. I have comprhensive insurance on bike A. Can I travel to scotland, buy bike B which had no insurance and ride it home then start hunting for the best quote?

just to be clear the reason i am not getting the cover first is i want to fit some security devices and last thing i want is to pay the premium, then fit the device and the insurance says they'll knock 20 quid off.

no m8 you need a multi bike policy or try adding a second bike to your existing policy thumbs 

Not unless other bikes insured an your covered for riding other bikes

I thought that chad but if the guys sold the bike then he would have cancelled the policy

@dick65 wrote:
I thought that chad but if the guys sold the bike then he would have cancelled the policy
Yeah most of time but some people keep it going until they get a new one?

@dick65 wrote:
Yeah most of time but some people keep it going until they get a new one?
That's still wrong chad Im afraid

ok yeah people do it but the bike or car hasn't got to belong to you to be insured through your own policy

most insurance companys will give day dover to bring it back

I wouldn't chance it unless I had something in writing saying youre covered,if you haven't and something untoward happens you'll be left high and dry facing perhaps a ban,high insurance costs,uninsured lossess, its just not worth the risk for about £30 for temp cover. my son had a misdemeanour several years ago and he's still paying for it now.

if you take a policy out on the new bike and tell them you intend to fit the security device they will cover you but suspend theft insurance until you fit the device. When you do fit it tell them and they will instantly re-instate the cover. Alternatively, and this could prove dodgy if anything happens, just don't tell them the security isn't fitted yet, if your going to fit it more or less straight away I cant see the problem.

How we got the new x5 home Wink 

If not get day cover?

i searched high and low no one is doing temp bike cover any more. The least available is monthly cover ( e-bike cover) who will obviously charge cancellation fees.... need 14 days notice thus knocking you into another month etc...etc..

@obalanga wrote:
How we got the new x5 home Wink 

If not get day cover?

i searched high and low no one is doing temp bike cover any more. The least available is monthly cover ( e-bike cover) who will obviously charge cancellation fees.... need 14 days notice thus knocking you into another month etc...etc..

That's a shame. Always a way to squeeze every penny from you

Well, a month cover with ebike is probably cheaper than getting the bike shifted by a bike mover.  Then again, the £££ you save with the x% reduction for the security devices might be less than temp cover so may be a moot point (having Datatag saved me a whole  £9 on the Triumph).

As others have said, no your policy won't cover you - even if the current owner still has a valid policy, as the bike is now technically yours - although I suspect a lot of people take that particular risk.  If the owner hasn't got live insurance it'll flag up if passing plod do a MID check and you'll be in a world of misery mate.

Worth a call to your current insco, but if they won't help you out, you could get a quote with the security mods and one without - and if it's a big enough difference just insure it as though it already has them.