Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chadatious

fitting fork seals

What's the deal?

I always kill them at some point so time to learn I think. I've done same problem Mark had as a mate fitted cheap seels for me. 

But just wondering how tricky it is what it involves etc?

Just get some decent seals chad look it up on youtube
theres some good vids on how to

normal forks are not that bad to do,never done usd
think there a bit harder  thumbs 

Use genuine fork seals chad they were only £20 for mine. If usd put the seals over the stantions first and protect the ends with a little bit a of masking tape to stop the edge damaging the seal.

Use the old seals as a drift to drive the new ones into place  Smile  I got my last lot from I think Bearings Direct or something. Japanese ones cost about £20. Thing is you'll need the dimensions to find the seal you want.  thumbs 

[quote="Chadatious"]Their not USD. And ah okay I'll make a frame to hang the bike on again Wink[/quote

even easier, as I said just make sure you tape the threaded end of the fork and apply a little oil to stop the seal catching.

Standard forks are a lot easier than inverted forks Chad one thing that can cause problems is the damper rod bolt which needs loosening before the fork cap is undone and as stated use good quality seals, if there is any pitting on the stanchion rub it off with autosol or similar. There is loads of advice about so have a good read before you start and everything will be fine  study .  thumbs
Just done my 500 and my brothers ZZR1100 with no problems if I'd thought of it I should have done a photo guide. Marks forks went quite smoothly but were inverted and a learning curve  scratch . Think they leaked because of cheap seals and wrong fitting method, but you live and learn, good luck mate!

Only things i would add is as said undo damper rod before you take forks apart.Sometimes the rod will spin using a socket or allen key.If it does i know you have got the use of a windy gun.That'll do it.
Once its all undone and the dust seal and the clip holding the seal is removed and its time to separate the 2 halves.They can be tight.What i do is get a 1/2 inch socket extension(about 10 inch long)wrap the middle few inches with several layers of gaffer tape(masking tape in your case lol) to protect any threads,stick it through the spindle hole then stand putting the extension under each foot and jerk the stantion up n down,bit like a sliding hammer action and they'll come apart.
On re fitting if you can get some pipe(plastic or metal) that will go over the stantion you can use it to drift the new sill in but it must fit on the outer edge of the new seal so no to damage the seal.
If using the old seal to drift the new one in i just rub the old seal down on the outside a bit and use a smear of grease so the old one dont get stuck ontop of the new one.

you say damper is that my adjustable suspension at the top? i have some thing i put on that means you can wind them out with your hands

No.theres usually a allen key bolt.Once you have the leg out look up from the bottom you'll see it(were spindle goes through.

ah thats what the holes in bottom of forks are for? right

its new to em once ive done soemthing im fine.

Standard forks are a lot easier than inverted forks Chad one thing that can cause problems is the damper rod bolt which needs loosening before the fork cap is undone and as stated use good quality seals, if there is any pitting on the stanchion rub it off with autosol or similar. There is loads of advice about so have a good read before you start and everything will be fine  study .  thumbs
Just done my 500 and my brothers ZZR1100 with no problems if I'd thought of it I should have done a photo guide. Marks forks went quite smoothly but were inverted and a learning curve  scratch . Think they leaked because of cheap seals and wrong fitting method, but you live and learn, good luck mate!

I have only ever done normal forks, out of curiosity, how much different are inverted ones to do??

Standard forks are easy cos I've done a few now still not happy with upside down forks cos only seen Marks but if you have a manual for the gsxr you should be fine Chad just  study first  thumbs

dont really want to do it but itll help a mate out! odd that ill do head gaskets, and vales etc but hate forks  Laughing 

just about any bike manual will do chad there nearly all the same

as I said watch some of the youtube vids on it they aint bad to do  thumbs 

if his bike has preload adusters on the forks wind them all the way back before doing them  thumbs