Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lee1

gas leak

Got up this morning could smell gas as I was going down stairs  affraid  was getting stronger as I headed into the kitchen  affraid 

so shouted the mrs told her not to switch anything on
switched it off at main supply opened all the windows
rung the gas board

half hour later guy turns up condemned the main gas pipe under me stairs  Shocked very old pipe that gave up
he said it could of cracked as its set in concrete

so had me local plumber out to put a new feed from the meter outside and run the pipe outside of the house back to me kitchen

no signs of it leaking just started over night I guess
very lucky

@Davehutch wrote:
Yes lee and good of you knowing what to do , could have been different if she had got up first m8
yeah glad I did knowing the mrs she would of put the kettle on

cooor blimey! not just the fire hazard its the fumes in your sleep!

thats where the carbon monoxide? alarms are handy!

least your okay mate thats the main thing!

Close call Lee glad your all okay  affraid  affraid  as Chad said a carbon monoxide detector is a must buy in any room with a gas appliance and can be had for a couple of pounds, ours also lights up and doubles as a smoke detector. Well done on keeping calm and knowing how to deal with it Lee!  thumbs thumbs 

Close call Lee glad your all okay  affraid  affraid  as Chad said a carbon monoxide detector is a must buy in any room with a gas appliance and can be had for a couple of pounds, ours also lights up and doubles as a smoke detector. Well done on keeping calm and knowing how to deal with it Lee!  thumbs thumbs 

yeah we have one upstairs one downstairs which are smoke and carbon monoxide. both wired to mains with a 9v battery backup. handy to know that they are there

Got 2 carbon monoxide testers 1 upstairs 1 downstairs both smoke detectors aswell

But carbon monoxide testers dont detect gas leaks

carbon monoxide and natural gas are two different things. Carbon monoxide is produced when a hydrocarbon fuel is not combusted completely. Natural gas is about 96% methane with a small amount of ethane mixed in. It is a colorless and odorless gas

I should of been a gas engineer  Smile 

as ya say lucky all is well now  thumbs 

@lee wrote:

Got 2 carbon monoxide testers 1 upstairs 1 downstairs both smoke detectors aswell

But carbon monoxide testers dont detect gas leaks

carbon monoxide and natural gas are two different things. Carbon monoxide is produced when a hydrocarbon fuel is not combusted completely. Natural gas is about 96% methane with a small amount of ethane mixed in. It is a colorless and odorless gas

I should of been a gas engineer  Smile 

as ya say lucky all is well now  thumbs 

past me all i know if my boss is vegetarian and full of methane!

glad you ok m8 - we aint got gas this far north  Laughing 

chad ya cheeky fecker ive been a veggie for 30 years and I aint full of gas  Laughing 

Lucky mate, as said above, good thing you kept a clear head and knew what to do. Glad all sorted   thumbs    thumbs

Similar thing happened to me, got home from work about 8 and went upstairs. Could smell gas but only upstairs (girlfriend and daughter still in bed) she couldn't smell it. Went round to my neighbour (80 year old bloke) to see if he could smell it and as soon as he opened his kitchen door i could smell it. He hadn't turned one of the gas rings off properly from the previous evening, amazed me how he didn't wake up dead. Good job i got home when i did

Glad your all sorted now Lee

@Skelly wrote:
Similar thing happened to me, got home from work about 8 and went upstairs. Could smell gas but only upstairs (girlfriend and daughter still in bed) she couldn't smell it. Went round to my neighbour (80 year old bloke) to see if he could smell it and as soon as he opened his kitchen door i could smell it. He hadn't turned one of the gas rings off properly from the previous evening, amazed me how he didn't wake up dead. Good job i got home when i did

Glad your all sorted now Lee

Lucky mate. Good job you went round to check, a lot wouldn't   thumbs    thumbs

@dick65 wrote:
glad you ok m8 - we aint got gas this far north  Laughing 
its ok dick we aint got water  Laughing I after walk 5 miles a day for it but if ya give me £5.00 a month
I can get a well in the back garden  Laughing 

chad ya cheeky fecker ive been a veggie for 30 years and I aint full of gas  Laughing 

Get yourself a canary  thumbs Glad it all ended safely.

Glad its all ok Lee could have been well bad i has one a few year back the nut on the tap on the fire was just a tad lose sod all but same i came down stair and could smell it ,