Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fr499y

Am i mad for wanting to do this?

I've been thinking for probably the last month or so about the BMW i got. When i first got it i was using it every day for work and around town and loved it, but after doing a few 60 mile rides, the pins and needles and laggy/stuttering throttle response has made me think it was a bad choice of bike. In fact every faired bike or sports bike i have bought, I've not kept for more than 6 months as i just don't seem to get on with them either because the bars are too low, very twitchy throttle response etc etc. Now I've done a few things to the BMW that have improved the throttle response and the flat spot low down, but the pins and needles are still causing me issues with doing more than a 60 odd miles or a hours riding.

Am i going mad for thinking about selling it and just getting a 1970's Z900/Z1 or a MT-01?

I really regret selling my old Z1000 but i knew the buggered wiring and dodgy second gear would drop me in it one day.

Don't buy a Z900 unless you simply want an occasional Sunday out to impress people. Carbs which weren't great when new, those brakes you'd consider lethal by modern standards, and a bamboo frame. I rode one back from Stafford when my mate got a similar bee in his bonnet, and it has utterly put me off the notion of buying an older bike for daily use. Basically, it tore off my rose tinted specs good and proper. Not even powerful   

MT-01, much nearer the mark. It will probably actually work.  Smile 

The choice now is between the BMW R9T, MT-01 or keep the F800GT. Going to try and take a R9T out for a test ride this weekend if i can find somewhere that has one on demo.

I went on a VFR forum run a while ago with a chap riding an MT-01. Sounds good, bit gonzo for my taste maybe but looked quite fun really. Have to say I've never been a big BMW fan but they must be doing something right  Smile 

Just been looking at the R Nine T, looks quite a funky thing TBH. Better buy than the Yam and I can't think of a better alternative. Guzzi make similar bikes but I'd worry every time I went out  Laughing and most European stuff (Speedy, Tuono, KTMs) are a bit more headbanging. I like it.  thumbs 

Yeah, I love the look of the R nine T, got that old school cafe racer style that i loved with the thruxton. The 1200 boxer engines are brilliant but i do love V-twins which is going to make this harder to decide. Finding a good example of a Stage 2 or Stage 3 MT-01 is very hard as well.

@Davey B wrote:
Or better still get a bandit 1200  thumbs 

Had two, they do nowt for me. I think I'm set on the R nine T. Going to go BMW tonight and see how long the wait is on ordering. I believe its between 6 months and a year at the moment though  Shocked 

ever considered the z 1000 sx matt?
nice upright position and panniers

boxer engines are terrible for corrosion, I do work for a bike trader and I have refused to do them now, paint quality is shite on bmw bikes now.

@dick65 wrote:
ever considered the z 1000 sx matt?
nice upright position and panniers

I personally think they ruined the look of the zed's when they changed them back in 2007 so not for me the newer ones!

Now your the mad one!! Got the goodies stripped off the F800GT today, So Full Arrow exhaust on ebay along with the booster plug.