Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirtydog

V twin :)

Looking for some advice on ownership of a v twin more specifically either an aprilia rsv mille (late 03 onwards) or the suzuki tl1000r (any year).
Pros cons running costs etc I have read and watched numerous reviews but would really like some good honest 1st hand opinions thumbs

http://databikes.com/infophoto/aprilia/rsv_1000_mille_2004-2004.htm

http://www.suzukicycles.org/TL-series/TL1000R_brochures.shtml

personally, i would go with a S over the R and a tuono over the RSV! out of them two though, got to be the prili.

Better looking bike, has more character and better parts all round Smile If you can stretch to it look for the Factory model instead of the standard RSV thumbs

@fr499y wrote:
personally, i would go with a S over the R and a tuono over the RSV! out of them two though, got to be the prili.

Better looking bike, has more character and better parts all round Smile If you can stretch to it look for the Factory model instead of the standard RSV thumbs

Got to agree the aprilia is the better looking bike and yes more trick bits available but it's the reliability that I've been reading about that puts me off a bit confused

I've gone for the mille and the tlr as I don't like the look of the half faired tls and I'm not keen on the tuono either lol its got to be fully faired or not at all fofl

its like anything italian, if you look after it, then all is good!! I've had my share of non jap bikes Smile

ive only have slave cylinder and oil sensor go.

the aprillias are as good as you treat them, service ti to the book and if you do get something wrong sort it before it completely fecks up.

when my bikes been fine and i do tend to ride it hard at times.

when ive had a quick go ona tls but its not a touch on the aprillia,

also mpg, we went for a goon wheelieing etc, i got 20 miles to £10 it was crazy. but i did 300 miles back from yorkshirre on about £40 pacing at a fair but not ridiculous speed so it depends on how you ride it.

shame your not local or id say take my tuono for a skud to see what you think.

Don't think I have ever been on a v twin Ross but a neighbour down the road had a Mille with full Acrapovic system and it sounded awesome he had to sell cos of downsizing his house, wish id considered buying now! thats the one I'd go for more out of looks than any knowledge of the mechanicals.

ive only have slave cylinder and oil sensor go.

the aprillias are as good as you treat them, service ti to the book and if you do get something wrong sort it before it completely fecks up.

when my bikes been fine and i do tend to ride it hard at times.

when ive had a quick go ona  tls but its not a touch on the aprillia,

also mpg, we went for a goon wheelieing etc, i got 20 miles to £10 it was crazy. but i did 300 miles back from yorkshirre on about £40 pacing at a fair but not ridiculous speed so it depends on how you ride it.

shame your not local or id say take my tuono for a skud to see what you think.

Talking about looning it in Yorkshire, did Haydon get his fork seal sorted Chad? moving

ill be honest i dont have anything to do with him, cant trust his lot had a bit of a falling out,

but he went from that innocent gs500 kid to cocky on his 750 and i think hes come a cropper, but down to him.

Thanks for the replies gents... Good fuel economy isn't something you buy a litre bike for is it lol so not fussed about mpg... The aprilia is definitely the better looking machine hhhmmm decisions decisions

aprillia all day long! wouldnt swap mine for anything, first bike im actually happy with cant fault anything other than foot peg height for long distance, but they are great for lanes but adjustable rear sets want sorting Smile

Been chatting to a mate of a mate today he has a tlsr whilst his matey rides a mille.. Basically ive been offered a ride on both machines so I can see what the situation is

if you were close id say ride mine. im close to not painting it now. i just get bored, but soem mivv gp cans, and a remap are in order!

if you were close id say ride mine. im close to not painting it now. i just get bored, but soem mivv gp cans, and a remap are in order!

Chad have you had much feed back or any useful advice from the performance aprilia page over on fb?

yes mate they are very helpful when needed, just the few jokers Wink

Sounds familiar lol one of the admin for that page belongs to the bike school where in took my test

fairy nuff, looks like a cool place to visit, my tuonos got 11250 on it now, not long till the 12k miles major service Sad

fairy nuff, looks like a cool place to visit, my tuonos got 11250 on it now, not long till the 12k miles major service Sad

You should make some enquiries on that page mate as the mechanical team do home visits all over the country for all manner of reasons.

yeah ive got pal jody who works a bike shop who knows his stuff, but for the aprillia it goes to lee at motoworks hes the don and has all the plug in gear and my full 12k mile service including valves the lot etc is only £360

@dirtydog wrote:

Chad have you had much feed back or any useful advice from the performance aprilia page over on fb?  

If you're referring to Griff over in Tamworth, he's very highly rated on the Falco & Tuono forums I lurk on. Smile

the bloke who bled my clutch in yorkshire, no offence mark but half he said was crap, and you do need vacuum bleeder for the slave cylinders unlike he used, but ah well. it happens Wink

got to get my bike serviced, clutch tweaked and possibly remapped for the exhausts soon :/ pricey lol

@dirtydog wrote:

If you're referring to Griff over in Tamworth, he's very highly rated on the Falco & Tuono forums I lurk on. Smile

Thats the chap alright Griff Wooley from the small amount of research I've done it sounds like he and his firm are the "go to guys" for all your aprilia needs.. It says alot about him when there are guys on their Facebook page from all over the world asking for advice.

@dick65 wrote:
TDM 900 thumbs

Had one of these, very smooth ( but are a parallel twin ) 270* crank make it ride like a VERY smooth v-twin. Brakes are incredible for the bike ( infact over kill on so many levels ). Bit tall if your a short ass though thumbs

@fr499y wrote:
@dick65 wrote:
TDM 900 thumbs

Had one of these, very smooth ( but are a parallel twin ) 270* crank make it ride like a VERY smooth v-twin. Brakes are incredible for the bike ( infact over kill on so many levels ). Bit tall if your a short ass though thumbs

I'm sure they are a more than capable machine but not what I'm looking for at the moment I'm not going touring or covering massive miles.

aprillia! im telling you! when you look at your bike as you walk away you know youve bought the right one as they say!

mum thought i was sad when i told her i think ive found the one fofl

aprillia! im telling you! when you look at your bike as you walk away you know youve bought the right one as they say!

mum thought i was sad when i told her i think ive found the one fofl

Thought she would have asked you what HIS name is aswell ;}

ones you go italian youll never go back.

something like that..............

I think I know the quote your referring to Chad but it would get us both banned from the forum lol Rolling Eyes

@dirtydog wrote:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131355228440&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web  

As much as I like the aprilia when it boils down to cold hard cash it's difficult not to like the suzuki  especially at this sort of price.

Like that   thumbs    thumbs

It's a lot of machine for not a lot of money and that one is particularly tidy example.

ones you go italian youll never go back.

something like that..............

I went Italian but came back, £1200 a year servicing did me.

thats depends who you know.

lee at motoworks we do paint for and i get him work said for me on my major service in march whats all fluids, filter and valves £360. but if i dont keep the service history going and just make a written note of it myself ill get pal jody to do it. one of the best bike mechanics i know. and he said he would better that by far as private job thumbs

yet aprillia themselves want £800

handy to know people. just end up returning the favour in paint favours thumbs