Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obalanga

What is the effect of...

Not fitting a spark plug properly? Last September I changed the air filter and plugs. It was a very fiddly affair more so because I did not have the right tools and did a bit of improvising. I suspect the compression washer on one plug was never fully seated. Since then I had a very occasional misfire mostly on shut off (throttle) and I may be fooling myself but when I start the bike I have thought there was a sound similar to a leaking manifold. Could that problem possibly have escalated to the point the plug is all together off and affecting my revs? I have occasionally smelled unburnt fuel in a traffic jam. Or am I just making excuses to avoid the dealer's charges?

don't go dealer, where are you? as don't know if anyone can help but its worth a check.

I am in lancashire. Owing to your reply I have been trawling the region to see if I can find anyone cheaper. I will be making some phone calls tomorrow

I know of no one that way. but thell be cheaper places rather than dealers, thwne in the se were spoilt as lots of shops.

Was the plug very tight to screw back in ??--Hoping you haven't stripped the thread? Shocked

Little gem I've used down the years, cut off a short piece of garden hose, gently insert the top of the plug inside the hose
-not to far in tho'.
You can then insert the body of the plug, into the head, and easily catch the thread without damaging the threads.
piece o' piss thumbs

sounds to me like you've just sussed your misfire cos if its blowing it will be sucking too.

you don't need to go to a bike mechanic any competent auto mechanic will sort it.

I don't think I crossed the threads as i was very careful and did it mostly with fingers. I have a couple of days off this week so I will try and have a look at the plugs again may be change them and have a run about and see if that sorts it out. Thanks for the tips and hints guys.

@obalanga wrote:
I don't think I crossed the threads as i was very careful and did it mostly with fingers. I have a couple of days off this week so I will try and have a look at the plugs again may be change them and have a run about and see if that sorts it out. Thanks for the tips and hints guys.

You probably havent crossed the threads but running the engine with a plug loose will allow schrchingly hot gasses to escape through the plug threads maybe damaging them and probably gamming them up with soot. Also if the plug is loose enough to move it will rattle in the threads with every induction/ compression stroke of the enging. If you haven't done any damage you are very lucky.