Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smilinjack

Oh no!! Tyres again.....

Thing is, we've had a bit of a change of plan, insofar as I'm probably going to take my ZZR1200 to Spain in May. It will need at least a front which has gone a bit out of shape. Been looking at the pairs offers at M & P and there are a couple which look quite interesting. Bear in mind that cost matters to me, so forget expensive Michelin, and the bulk of the mileage will end up as being sunny Spanish trips during my next few holidays. So...

Mezeler Z6 or Continental Road Attack 2 are the two I have it down to. I've had Road Attacks before and liked them, no experience at all of Metzeler except the Sportec M3 on my Speedy. Any opinions gang? Smile

ive used conti motions which are good and cheap also consider maxxis as well m8 im running those on my 600 and there just as good as the expensive options as for mezeler ive never used them so can't comment thumbs

Got Maxxis on it now Dick, and they're fine TBH. Just thought at similar money I can get big name tyres and see what I think. Smile

I have metzeler tourance. I must say it took about 300 miles for me to feel comfortable with them. I opted for them as I am a slow rider and the possibility of getting 8k plus miles out of them. I have heard people getting 9k miles out of metzelers. Now I am happy with them.

I have just put a new conti road attack 2 evo on the back I like em good feel and grippy plus you don't need to scrub them in not the best for lots of miles but my tyres wear out quick whatever I put on.

Got Maxxis on it now Dick, and they're fine TBH. Just thought at similar money I can get big name tyres and see what I think. Smile

conti's are a good tyre I have them on my 1000 and feel comfortable with them plenty of grip as well , wet or dry thumbs

Interestingly, been looking through my service records and the Road Attacks last about 50% longer than Maxxis, and l can buy a pair for about £10 more. I also had Sport Attacks but didn't like them as much. Might go back to Conti. Smile

Not short of tread actually Dave, but the front is like a threepenny bit down the sides. I can reuse the Maxxis for work on my VFR-will mainly be motorway miles. I just want plenty of life in the tyres l take to Spain so l can hopefully do a trip or two from the flat and still have enough tread to get home. Smile

I won't use anything other than the Storm II Ultra's now. had them on the zed and the xjr, and will slap a set on the MT once i wear the stock tyres out.

on the zed:-

BT021 - 2,800 - 3,000 miles
Avon VP2 Supersport ( very soft though ) - between 3,000 and 3,500 till completely worn!
Storm 2 Ultra - 5,000+ before i sold bike, with plenty left Smile good for about 8k i would say at a push Smile

On the XJR the storm 2 ultra looked like new after 1500 ish miles Smile

@fr499y wrote:
I won't use anything other than the Storm II Ultra's now. had them on the zed and the xjr, and will slap a set on the MT once i wear the stock tyres out.

on the zed:-

BT021 - 2,800 - 3,000 miles
Avon VP2 Supersport ( very soft though ) - between 3,000 and 3,500 till completely worn!
Storm 2 Ultra - 5,000+ before i sold bike, with plenty left Smile good for about 8k i would say at a push Smile

On the XJR the storm 2 ultra looked like new after 1500 ish miles Smile

Interesting comments. I can get a set of Storms for the same price as the Contis. Not had an Avon since the Roadrunner Laughing

tbh, Avon are the only tyres i've had confidence with.
VP2 Supersport ( Now the 3D supersport ) These are soft and as you can see from the pic, they do square off easy if you do lots of dual carriageway / motorway riding.

Storm 2 Ultra with 100 ish miles on them

Now I'm not a big lad, but i prefer riding bikes that are big and heavy! Storm 2's stick like shit and wear better than any other tyres i've used. Two up riding on the XJR and giving it some, never once slipped, not even when i touched the bastard link pipe on a roundabout down south ( remember that Dave? rofl )

Currently using Sportsmarts, BT023's and S20's on 3 of mine.

The 023's are lasting well, the S20's grip nice,
you just need to accept what each does well and
that they are a little different.

All fine and would use any again at the right price.

If price, wear and availability wasn't an issue,
In my dream world I'd probably be fitting S20's.

Currently got the S20's fitted on my MT-09 and hate to say, i find them shit. They seem to just drop after certain lean angle, and in the current UK weather is frightning!! i can see them being great in the bone dry, with hot roads but for every day all year round ( or atleast the weather at the moment ) i don't trust them! Your OK over in Aus-land, the coldest you guys see is pretty much our summer! and if its wet, its too wet to ride Laughing - Ovcourse its a personal thing with tyres Smile

Don't forget the S20 is a hypersport tyre, designed for dry weather and trackdays

Yeah, the S20's are on my Hayabusa streetfighter.

It's lost a lot of weight, has quite firm suspension, and 160+hp.
Only comes out in hot dry weather and only gets
used at speed around the mountains and dams
chasing sports bikes. Tyres work real well,
can't fault them for the task.

The BT023 are on my GSX1400.
Ragged to the very edges dragging the footpegs / sidestand / frame around corners.
Not as grippy as the S20's, but fine if you ride with a
nice smooth flow. Launching at the drags or white knuckles on the brakes or on / off the throttle on
corners (acting an arse and getting into trouble)
will upset the 023's but not the S20's I find.

To be fair the 023's seem to wear at about half the rate of the S20's though.

None of my bikes have razor sharp handling.
My biggest issues are wear and trying to grip due to
the bike weight and horsepower.

It's funny having my glasses steam up when I walk
OUT of a shop / house or get OUT of the car as its
normally cool and dry inside and hot and humid outside.

Ordered a pair of Road Attacks. I know Contis from previous use, and despite the probable superior wet grip and maybe wear of the Metzeler, reading the tests suggests they may be a bit slow steering. Last thing I need on my barge Laughing and dry grip on the Contis is good. Will get me to and from Spain and hopefully a few trips in between OK. £155 delivered. Smile

is that for evo's cos that's cheap unless they come down in price since I bought my rear.

@madcarper wrote:
is that for evo's cos that's cheap unless they come down in price since I bought my rear.

Doubtful mate. I expect it's previous generation stock they want rid of. Perfect for cheapskates like me Laughing

I went tyre shopping today, but it wasn't very successful!

Two local tyre shops near me,  Both guys I ride with.

1st one was having a "Special" on 023's.
A very useable touring tyre with reasonable grip.
They suit the 1400.
Plenty in stock but the owner decided that as they have
equal numbers of front / rears delivered he only wants
to sell them as pairs!
No use to me, I use one front to two rears.
Only needed a rear.

2nd shop who is normally better on price was real
busy and didn't have either of the Sportsmarts or
S20 rears in a 55 profile rear I wanted (B-King) in stock.
I can order them in, he normally has good stock.

I do have 1 brand new and 1 near new Pilot Road 3's
in the shed I'm not using so might look at fitting one
of those and buying a matching rear.

Got a big ride in 2 weeks time so still have next week
to sort a bike out ready.

Hard to decide between the 14 or the King.
Both have their downsides.