Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
madcarper

knocking noise

few weeks ago noticed a knocking when starting the bike, upon further investigation and research on zzr forum found out it was the starter/alternator chain tensioner pulled the side casing off and looks like I caught it nice and early you can just see some marks on the edge of the clutch basket where its been catching very slightly.
bought the kwicks tensioner mod from the states, feckin got stung for import duty and the post office stuck £8.00 on too which is a rip off when I paid $25.00 for it to come from Arizona to London which is 5200 miles and London to me is 275 miles. anyhow just fitted it tonight fired it up and no knocking "result".
heres some pics

original tensioner you can just see marks on basket.

new tensioner mod

mod fitted.

looks a good fix Ian, one daft question- what stops the block the adjuster is in from dropping and losing tension? is it just the tightness of the allen bolt or is there a back to the triangular bracket stopping the billet block from swinging down? or am I talking gibberish? Embarassed

looks a good fix Ian, one daft question- what stops the block the adjuster is in from dropping and losing tension? is it just the tightness of the allen bolt or is there a back to the triangular bracket stopping the billet block from swinging down? or am I talking gibberish? Embarassed  

good question young man, right see the rod on the original tensioner set up, that goes into the big bolt in the alloy block which is drilled out like a gun barrel that bolt is locked in position with the big nut against the alloy block, the allen bolt holding the block in the tensioner is then secured with red fast setting Loctite on a single use locknut and tensioned to 75 ft/lb . this stops the tensioner flapping about and hitting the clutch basket , got it.

got the love the simple mods that just work!

The way around import tax is to make sure the seller marks it as a gift with a value tops $5 thumbs

Makes me laugh that you can get a parcel from America to this country in a day or two, yet it takes 2-3 days to make it from royal mail, to your door!

@madcarper wrote:

good question young man, right see the rod on the original tensioner set up, that goes into the big bolt in the alloy block which is drilled out like a gun barrel that bolt is locked in position with the big nut against the alloy block, the allen bolt holding the block in the tensioner is then secured with red fast setting Loctite on a single use locknut and tensioned to 75 ft/lb .   this stops the tensioner flapping about and hitting the clutch basket , got it.

Got it! thanks for the info. Oh "great Oracle" thumbsapplause