Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirtydog

Tools best and worst

Seeing as it's that tinkering time of year again I was wondering what is the best "value" tool you own and what was a waste of your hard earned cash?

what as in brand?

halfords seem okay for the money. still do break but are cheap.

had some mac stuff and tbh a lot of it doesnt last but does have warrenty.

but depends what type of tools you mean

what as in brand?

halfords seem okay for the money. still do break but are cheap.

had some mac stuff and tbh a lot of it doesnt last but does have warrenty.

but depends what type of tools you mean

Any tools that you would use for working on your bike whether they are hand or power tools yoof thumbs
halfords pro are good for the money and guaranteed for life thumbs

Stan I've got some of the Halfords pro stuff and always found it to be reasonable quality.

The biggest waste of money for me is any cheap chain riveter - they all die after a couple of uses.

Hard to think of a best value one though - there are lots that have been worthwhile, but in particular terms:

Most used/£ cost:   A £1.99 test light.
Has saved the most money:   Autel OBD2 reader.
Has got me out of the  shit the most:   Electric impact gun

i bought a snap on battery powered impact wrench and its broken after 6 months £500 worth of rubbish

i bought a snap on battery powered impact wrench and its broken after 6 months  £500 worth of rubbish

just been helping a mate fit a new clutch in his bmw/mini he has one of those snap on impact drivers costing him about 650 pounds by the time he eventually pays for it, must say i was very impressed with it Stan loads of torque and power and everything is covered including batteries for life......just too expensive for diy use!

My best tool purchase is my swivel ratchet spanners thumbs
worst is some brake caliper piston pliers which were cheap and broke with first use, although the principle was good the quality wasn't, definitely buy the best you can afford and it will make jobs 10 times easier, that's my experience anyway!

I would say the best tools I bought where my scrobe light and dwell meter ,both pretty much redundant now days , and the worst could be my proper oil catcher for draining sump oil , the first time I used it there was oil all over the garage floor ,

@Davehutch wrote:
I would say the best tools I bought where my scrobe light and dwell meter ,both pretty much redundant now days , and the worst could be my proper oil catcher for draining sump oil , the first time I used it there was oil all over the garage floor ,

was it user error? you forgot to put the bung in didn't you hide

Best = Halfords tool kit
Worse = lazy tong rivet gun Snapped after first rivet...

@Davehutch wrote:

scrobe light?? is that a cross between scrotum and strobe light ,don't fancy that at the docs. bumestop

@madcarper wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

scrobe light??  is that a cross between scrotum and strobe light ,don't fancy that at the docs.    bume  stop
I can't spell Embarassed

@madcarper wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

scrobe light??  is that a cross between scrotum and strobe light ,don't fancy that at the docs.    bume  stop

where is this party at? party

@madcarper wrote:
@Davehutch wrote:

where is this party at? party
don't you bloody start smack I can't help being thick

Best thing I bought for a while was a 2nd tool box.
Now I have sorted and split my tools up.

One tool box for quality kit that's respected.

One for my collection of begged, borrowed and "acquired" stuff that's really not that good.

The 2nd tool box is stuff that can be sacrificed.
Sockets that can be ground down, spanners that can be bent or welded to nuts, screw drivers that can be used as drifts.

Best thing I bought for a while was a 2nd tool box.
Now I have sorted and split my tools up.

One tool box for quality kit that's respected.

One for my collection of begged, borrowed and "acquired" stuff that's really not that good.

The 2nd tool box is stuff that can be sacrificed.
Sockets that can be ground down, spanners that can be bent or welded to nuts, screw drivers that can be used as drifts.

Your second box sounds like my main box LaughingLaughing
I'm going to treat myself to a torque wrench and a new set of spanners in the January sales