Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
butterfly

Butterfly,

This is a topic called Angelology. A most excellent discussion in my opinion. Not because I am any expert but because I find it very facinating. Here is some info I found that would address both of your questions.

Question: "What does the Bible say about angels?"

Answer:
Angels are personal spiritual beings, having aspects of intelligence, emotions, and will. This is true of both the good and evil angels. Angels possess intelligence (Matthew 8:29; 2 Corinthians 11:3; 1 Peter 1:12), show emotions (Luke 2:13; James 2:19; Revelation 12:17), and demonstrate that they have wills (Luke 8:28-31: 2 Timothy 2:26; Jude 6). Angels are spirit beings (Hebrews 1:14), with no true physical body. The fact that they do not have bodies does not affect their being personalities (any more than it does with God).

The knowledge angels possess is limited by their being created beings. This means they do not know all things as God does (Matthew 24:36). They do seem to have greater knowledge than humans, however. This may be due to three causes. (1) Angels were created as a higher order of creatures in the universe than humans are. Therefore, innately they possess greater knowledge. (2) Angels study the Bible and the world more thoroughly than humans do and gain knowledge from it (James 2:19; Revelation 12:12). (3) Angels gain knowledge through long observation of human activities. Unlike humans, angels do not have to study the past; they have experienced it. Therefore, they know how others have acted and reacted in situations and can predict with a greater degree of accuracy how we may act in similar circumstances.

Though they have wills, the angels are, like all creatures, subject to the will of God. Good angels are sent by God to help believers (Hebrews 1:14). Here are some activities the Bible ascribes to angels:

A. They praise God (Psalm 148:1,2; Isaiah 6:3).
B. They worship God (Hebrews 1:6; Revelation 5:8-13).
C. They rejoice in what God does (Job 38:6-7).
D. They serve God (Psalm 103:20; Revelation 22:9).
E. They appear before God (Job 1:6; 2:1).
F. They are instruments of God's judgments (Revelation 7:1; 8:2).
G. They bring answers to prayer (Acts 12:5-10).
H. They aid in winning people to Christ (Acts 8:26; 10:3).
I. They observe Christian order, work, and suffering (1 Corinthians 4:9; 11:10; Ephesians 3:10; 1 Peter 1:12).
J. They encourage in times of danger (Acts 27:23,24).
K. They care for the righteous at the time of death (Luke 16:22).

Angels are an entirely different order of being from humans. Human beings do not become angels after they die. Angels will never become, and never were, human beings. God created the angels, just as He created humanity. The Bible nowhere states that angels are created in the image and likeness of God, as humans are (Genesis 1:26). Angels are spiritual beings that can, to a certain degree, take on physical form. Humans are primarily physical beings, but with a spiritual aspect. The greatest thing we can learn from the angels is their instant, unquestioning obedience to God’s commands.

Question: "What are the different types of angels?"

Answer:
Angels fall into two categories: the “unfallen” angels and the fallen angels. Unfallen angels are those who have remained holy throughout their existence and accordingly are called “holy angels” (Matthew 25:31). In Scripture, generally when angels are mentioned, it is the class of holy angels in view. By contrast, the fallen angels are those who have not maintained their holiness. Holy angels fall into special classes, and certain individuals are named and mentioned. Michael the archangel is likely the head of all the holy angels, and his name means “who is like unto God?” (Daniel 10:21; 12:1; 1 Thessalonians 4:16; Jude 9; Revelation 12:7-10). Gabriel is one of the principal messengers of God, his name meaning “hero of God,” and was entrusted with important messages such as those delivered to Daniel (Daniel 8:16; 9:21), to Zacharias (Luke 1:18-19), and to Mary (Luke 1:26-38).

Most holy angels are not given names but are described only as “elect angels” (1 Timothy 5:2-10). The expressions “principalities” and “powers” seem to be used of all angels whether fallen or holy (Luke 21:26; Romans 8:38; Ephesians 1:21; 3:10; Colossians 1:16; 2:10, 15; 1 Peter 3:22). Some angels are designated as “cherubim,” which are living creatures who defend God’s holiness from any defilement of sin (Genesis 3:24; Exodus 25: 18, 20; Ezekiel 1:1-18). “Seraphim” are another class of angels mentioned only once in Scripture in Isaiah 6:2-7 and are described as having three pairs of wings. They apparently have the function of praising God, being God’s messengers to Earth, and are especially concerned with the holiness of God. Most of the references to holy angels in Scripture refer to their ministries which cover a wide field of achievement. They were present at creation, the giving of the Law, at the birth of Christ and at His resurrection, at the Ascension, and they will be present at the Rapture of the Church and the Second Coming of Christ.

In stark contrast to the company of holy angels, the fallen angels are also innumerable and are described as fallen from their first estate. Led by Satan, who was originally a holy angel, the fallen angels defected, rebelled against God, and became sinful in their nature and work. Fallen angels have been divided into two classes: those who are free and those who are bound. Of the fallen angels, Satan alone is given particular mention in the Bible. When Satan fell (John 8:44; Luke 10:18), he drew after him one third of the angels. Of those, some are reserved in chains awaiting judgment (1 Corinthians 6:3; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6), and the remainder are free and are the demons, or devils, to whom reference is constantly made throughout the New Testament (Mark 5:9, 15; Luke 8:30, 1 Timothy 4:1). They are Satan’s servants in all his undertakings and share his doom (Matthew 25:41; Revelation 20:10).

I think this is an excellent question and I pray that this is of help to those who are interested. This is one of my favorite subjects in Theology.

God bless,

Connie :angel:

I have been reading a book on angels and seeking out allot of scriptures lately. In this book it was interesting the stories of people who have had experiences with angels. I can relate to some of the experiences to some of them.

The Lord is so good to send his angels to do so many things. Messengers and worshipers, warring, guardian angels and so many others. This is a good topic and thanks Connie for bringing more information on this discussion. I am always in awe of our Beloved. :PTL:

Connie that was beautifuly done! I don't think I have ever read anything on Angles that I liked as much as this! Thanks for giving of yourself and answering butterflys question. Butterfly, thanks for asking...

God is soooo good to us.. Blessings, Lori