Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Noah777

Conflicting counselors and interpreters

Okay, this is partly to vent, partly to give kudos to y'all.

A few weeks back I posted a dream I've really, really been struggling with ("Would you believe, a dream?"). I sought counsel about it here, in hopes of getting an interpretation, as well as another dream interpretation forum, prophetic people, etc... Now I've only had a dream straight from the Lord maybe 3 or 4 times in my entire life, and the Lord went out of His way to give me a dream - this is important! I've spent SO many hours praying and seeking the Lord over the interpretation, and I just don't trust my heart (deceitfully wicked above all things - who can know it?), yet I have to think that just plain old doubt is tormenting me. I've even sought out the interpretation from a dream interpretation ministry, and her take on the dream was the exact opposite of what everyone else has said; and sadly, I think I'll be taking her interpretation and writing it off - on multiple planes her interpretation just didn't seem to make any sense to me and she made several judgment calls about me based on her interpretation of the dream - some of the calls just plain weren't true.

Mostly what I've gotten is silence - no response - nuthin! Even on the other dream interpretation forum (boasting some 1,200 participants), as well as a dream interpretation minister, the place where I got the most feedback (and the most thought-provoking feedback) was here.

So first of all, thank you to all of you here. I've never understood the importance or the need for dream interpretation until now, because of my need. I can imagine how many pizza dreams you guys get handed to you with the dreamer's expectation of a word from the Lord!

So now I have a problem: While trying to wade through all of this, I kept running into two consistent problems. First, I'm not trying to argue with dream interpreters, I'm trying to understand and make sure I have the correct interpretation. Multiple people said the same thing, first reaction to my dream was that the father in the dream was father God. Of course, I too considered this, and so I then countered with the question "but in the dream, the father's actions made the woman feel ashamed" and so I concluded it was actually her biological father, not God. When I brought this up, many dream interpreters agreed with me, but simply said that the interpretation is up to the dreamer. Now I'm aware of that, but please understand: I'm not trying to argue, rather I'm trying to make sure that I have the correct interpretation. If I'm wrong, I need to hear it. What's even more important that I realized was that the father in the dream was the central figure; he was the one I had the most interaction with in the dream, and he was there throughout the whole dream.

So now I've even had a dream interpreter; someone whom I actually gave a donation to her ministry for her take on the dream, who came to the same conclusion. This has been in stark contradiction to the other interpretations I've gotten, including from some people I really trust, but who would never claim to be a dream interpreter. So the responses I've received (except here) has been silence or stark contradiction. How do you folks suggest dealing with this?

again, while I'm desperate for a correct interpretation, I am here to learn as well - and one thing I have learned is the need for this ministry. I guess I also need to learn how to deal with contradicting interpretations.

Input and edumacation puleeze!

Guest Guest
The key for your dream is in the word represent
Represent:to present by means of something standing in the place of
instead to focusing in the obstacle see this as an opportunity to testify of God to her dad,.
that is why she can not abide for you in front of her dad.
Because that is an assigment God has given you,To exercise your faith
Have you not heard :In Jesus Christ we are more than conquerors..
Not by might the Lord said if not by my spirit.
May the Lord Bless You and Keep You.

Thank you MB; once again, another very though-provoking take on the dream. I was asking for input on dealing with contradicting interpreters, but you went above and beyond the call - thank you.

But in so doing, you've now highlighted exactly what I was saying. (honest, I'm not criticizing, I sincerely appreciate what you wrote and you've made me think - again!) For me, during the dream and afterwards, that statement "She is not permitted to represent your name" was baffling to me - "What on earth is THAT supposed to mean???" yet to everyone I shared the dream with, that was a no-brainer: It means marriage. Which is really odd, because I wasn't asking her to marry me in the dream.

So now you've given another, thought-provoking interpretation which is in contradiction to what so far has been the only unanimous interpretation!

So I come back to my original question: How does one deal with the contradictions and conflict? You could be right, the others could be right, or you could both be right, or both wrong! (even though I doubt you're both wrong)

By the way MB - what you said was an encouragement, thank you.

Guest Guest
it is written the counsel of the Lord will stand.
God sometimes gives us small assigments...and he does this when we really are searching for his presence.
what I have learn is this as soon as we star moving in the direction the Lord want us to move..things will never be the same.
all I can tell you this an opportunity for you where a blessing is in hiding..
I don't know what it is..all I can say to you an assigment has been given to you.
And that is in between the Lord and the standing your prayers made in front of Him.
I did not say marriage..I said assigment..what is the prize for obedience?
only God and you know that.
try to remember at the moment of the dream what things were you praying for.
God is light,and there is not confusion in Him.
May the Lord Bless You and keep you.

Hello Noah!

The first thing about dreams that I learned when I first joined this site is this. God gives dreams as a means of communication with YOU!! Dreams are like parables. The same way He spoke in parables to his disciples and to the masses in the Gospels, He does the same thing to us. I NEVER leave ANYTHING in the hands of ANYONE else to interpret for me without me knowing it first.

God has His own way of communciating with us. We can NEVER put Him in a box and say that a symbol in a dream means that for everyone across the board. I admonish you to continue to seek God on ANY dream that you have and let the Lord give you HIS interpretation since the interpretation comes from Him anyway. EVERYTHING that is said to you regarding your dream MUST line up to the Word of God. If it doesn't, then it's not the Lord.

You mentioned that the Father in your dream could not be God the Father because of the way He made the person feel ashamed...you are correct. That doesn't line up with scripture because our Heavenly Father never makes us ashamed or guilty for anything because there is no condemnation. You have to try the word by the Word of God.

I will say this to you. Sometimes the interpretation is NOT for you to know at the time of the dream. I've had dreams for years that I didn't understand until later on down the line. Since God is in our "tomorrows", He can give us revelation knowledge into something that we may not be mature enough yet to understand. I usually pray over my dream and see what the Lord will reveal...sometimes he reveals some, but sometimes he reveals none. Trust me, once you ask...He hears you and will do whatever it takes to give you the understanding.

I pray this response helps you...blessings to you my friend!

I don't know what your dream means but let me encourage you by saying not to worry about it. You will know if a dream is from God. Just recently I was asking God how can I know when a dream is manifested and basically I got a dream that same day and in that dream I was trying to find out from every single person what some particular numbers in my dream meant, I went to someone and asked and she gave an interpretation and I didn't understand how she could get that interpretation from my dream, I went up to this unknown man in the dream asking him what does my dream mean and do you know what he said, "Why do you keep on asking what the dream means", he said "when the dream manifests you will know". I realized immediatley that that was what God was saying to me.

Hey folks,
Thank you - I needed to be reminded of the basics, and that is exactly what you fine folks have done. Thank you. And thank you for the encouraging words as well.

Guest Guest
Hello Noah, I agree with all that has been said here. To me the greatest thing that any person MUST know when seeking understanding on their dreams is what the word of God says. If any interpreter gives you an interpretation that does not have scriptural witness, then it should not be received.

The number one thing that I've learned about my own dreams (I've been dreaming for many years) is that I must believe that God will reveal to me the meaning of the dream. The scripture says, "If any man lacks wisdom let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and upbraideth not. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering..." (James 1:5-8, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.") The scripture also promises "Seek and you will find". (Matthew 7:7-8, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.") So, God wants you to understand what your dream means. You must trust that and know that as you seek, in God's perfect timing, it will become clear. I like what Butterfly said, "you'll know when it manifests". Many times it is not until a certain thing occurs that I understand a particular dream. A situation will occur in my life and the dream will come flooding back to my remembrance and I'll know "that's it! That's what the Lord was showing me." It wasn't so much for me to understand beforehand, but for me to know that when the time came this is what the Lord was showing me. However, that is not always true. Jesus did promise us that the Holy Spirit would "show us things to come". If you are baptized in the Holy Spirit then you have the right to believe for this. Some things God does want us to know ahead of time. So you are not wrong to seek. We are always to seek God concerning revelation, but understand and stand in faith knowing that you have sought and you will find and it will all happen right on time. I haven't looked at your dream, but I'll see if I can find it, and if the Lord gives me anything I'll post. What's the title of it and is it posted under "Dreams and Visions"?

Blessings,

Sandra

P.S..from what little I have read here about your dream, I agree with MBstudent. He only gives what he hears the Holy Spirit say, and he always gives scripture to back it up. So please continue to hold it before the Lord. I know that it will all become clear.

Hello Sandra,
Thank you for the input. I'm pretty positive I have the correct interpretation, I was hoping for comfirmation; you know - "there is safety in the counsel of many" - and there is, but as I sought counsel, I got stark contradictions in the interpretations. Hence the reason for this post.

Yes, the dream is posted under "dreams to be interpreted" called "Would you believe, a dream?" here:
/dreams-and-visions-to-be-interpreted-f1/would-you-believe-a-dream-t6191.htm

but don't feel obligated to go over it.

Mbstudent missed what I was saying though - I know MB didn't say marriage, I said everyone else did and MB contradicted what was so far the only unanimous part of the interpretation. However - mb did bring up a good point: "try to remember at the moment of the dream what things were you praying for." Actually, I know exactly what I was praying about at the time of the dream - it was about the very lady in the dream. I was asking the Lord whether this relationship was going anywhere or not, and should I look elsewhere. I'm game either way, I just didn't want to waste time waiting for something that was never meant to be, you know?

Thanks for the input.

Guest Guest
Hi Noah! I totally understand where you are coming from on seeking confirmation and getting many different interpretations. Sometimes just because many people say the same thing, it doesn't mean it's RIGHT. It's easy to learn to interpret dreams naturally. What I mean by that is to start saying, "Oh well, this symbol means this, and that symbol means that." But, it's not always true. Sometimes a symbol can hold multiple meanings, even in scripture. That's why it's important the Holy Spirit be the guide, but that also everything is backed by scripture. I've had several people tell me the same thing on dreams too, but with no scriptural backing. What is emphasized on this site is that if there's no scriptural backing to take it as the interpreters "thoughts and suggestions", and not as a "word from God". I'm glad that you're feeling settled in your heart about the meaning of your dream. I will still take a look at it, and if the Lord gives me anything, I will respond, but it will be Monday morning at the earliest.

Also, it may seem as though Mbstudent misunderstood what you were saying, but it seemed to me more like he was picking something up from the Holy Spirit and that is what he shared, -- no more -- no less.

Also, please keep in mind that just because many people have said the same thing, doesn't mean they are right. Always go with scripture and what the witness of your spirit man is saying. I hope this helps.

Blessings,

Sandra

Noah777,

~You know, I have to say that when I have a dream I usually do know the interpretation. The Lord usually confirms that for me in the written word or through prayer time. There have been times though when I like you needed a timely word to help me discern and understand the dream. I have had many times on the site where there has been little or no response and there I am left hanging, so to speak. But I will tell you this....each time that happens I take it before the Lord and tell him I do not understand. I ask him to show me in his word what he is trying to tell me and he always shows me that way. I say this because the Lord has proved his faithfulness to me many times. He wants me to understand what he is showing me. His words do not return to him void and will accomplish all they were set out to do. Nothing is spoken whether in dream or not that does not have meaning or purpose. We may not understand at the time but it will be revealed to us. Sometimes the meaning comes after the dream for me. I don't understand why it happens that way but it does sometimes. I pray this is of help to you. God bless!~

Love in
Jesus,

Connie

Connie, thanks for that! I'm getting so blessed by your writing, here and in other posts, eventhough the words aren't directly for me, I've taken them in too:-)
God bless YOU!

~Traveller,

I am glad that you are encouraged. :) I believe that the words we speak here are intended for more than one at times. That is why we encourage people to post. More than one person is being blessed at a time.....isn't God good. Everywhere at once.

Love in Jesus

Connie~

Sorry as I never got to see this dream and I haven't completely read all of the postings in here..which I suppose I should but I recall seeing something regarding the dream being God's way of speaking to YOU.

Yes some people have a gift for dream interpretation which is all good. At the same time though I know that God would never give us something we couldn't handle and I believe that just as God gave you the dream...He is capable of giving you the understanding of it whether it be on your own or through His servants. As the body of Christ yes we work together and of course that is encouraged. The fact however is that there is a borderline between our faith in God and our faith in people. Not encouraging division but expressing the reality of us all being human and having imperfections...we can't place too much expectancy on people but more expectancy of what God is doing THROUGH those people. We are to love each other in Christ and that includes forgiveness and acceptance but we also need to not be too dependant upon each other as we will at times face disappointments which if not dealt with according to God's word I believe only opens that door for satan to bring division. Don't want that! lol
The biggest thing with any word or interpretation of course is to ask some questions. Does it line up with God's word? Does the Holy Spirit bear witness to this...pay attention to what God is promting in you..

That is my best advise :)
God bless!

Vanessa