Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nubava

Procrastination!

Procrastination! I heard this word in me about a week ago. I have never heard this word before and I googled it and wikipedia gave me the following definition - Procrastination refers to the counterproductive deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. And it continues defining the term. Procrastination may result in stress, a sense of guilt and crisis, severe loss of personal productivity, as well as social disapproval for not meeting responsibilities or commitments. These feelings combined may promote further procrastination. While it is regarded as normal for people to procrastinate to some degree, it becomes a problem when it impedes normal functioning. Chronic procrastination may be a sign of an underlying psychological disorder.

As I read the description further, I somehow saw myself in this. I realised that it is God who is speaking and showing me some issues inside me. Why I started this topic? I wonder has anyone ever faced this state, this issue? If yes, how have you addressed it?

Blessings, Nubava

yes,,i wasa perfectionist then got free frm that ,,then kinda went 2 the otha side,,its a head thing, ,,i feel it can be rooted in dissappointment,,then u get ''wats the use'' syndrome,,i found some of the most simple thangs became Mt everests in mi life,, ,,some wood say i hav issues id larf an agree probly,,the biggest thing is takin the first step 2 do,,then persevere,then celebrate the dun thing, D,,i was puttin off repylin,,

I think everyone has suffered from procrastination (or maybe I just think that because I have )

For me, procrastination would happen due to fear. I wasn't too sure about my ability or insecure that I wasn't fit for whatever was at hand. Instead of launching out into "the deep", I would sit back and do nothing...or put it off.

I have to fight through that now. When I feel myself getting ready to put something off, I go full force with it. If not, then this fear will overtake me and I will never become all that God has called me to be. It's a lie of the enemy in order to cause me to be mediocre in life...at least it is in my case.

Dreamster, I have been there too, I mean perfectionist who wants to control everything and everyone and then fails several times and does not understand why as I was in control. Then turned "I do not care", indifference attitude. This is such a bondage. I also try to do things without putting off but not very successfull yet

And Cholette, you described me in your post. At times I can get paralized over a small issue and sit back with such an indifference and do nothing about an issue that it can drive crazy people around me. First I start panicing, then fear, then thoughts, then I start over analyzing, then confusion and I am paralised. And I know I have blown so many opportunities to serve people and to get things done for myself.

Mia, how have you overcome this word "procrastination"?

ohh nu profile boss, nice not so chilly, ,,um yep N im wiv u on this one,,i kno that paralyzin feelin,eekk ,,but goin frm to.. D

Seriously, the worst thing I procrastinated about was the laundry. I am ashamed to admit that I was piles and piles of laundry behind for the first 35 years of my life. Then I had a dream that a man, whose face I couldn't see, handed me a gun which I hid in a laundry basket.

Several years later, I realized what the dream meant because suddenly I was perfect laundry. It was always done, ironed, folded, put away. And pretty much has been for years now. I later realized that I had the dream about the Lord giving me the power (gun) to overcome my laundry.

And for me it was also because I am a perfectionist. If I can't do it all, and can't do all of it perfectly, I don't even want to start it.

I recommend asking God for help. I am seriously a different person in areas that I used to procrastinate and I know it is because of the power He's given me.

Thanks a lot for all you uplifting posts, I expected that all my spiritual sisters and brothers would write a bunch of verses from the Bible, etc, but you all made this rather complicated word "procrastination" so easy to understand and decide to come against it and just do it.

In my case it's not just in everyday life, I mean running errands, etc. I find myself procrastinating, putting off making some important decisions, like I am afraid to face them and if I put them off until tomorrow, it will be easier to make the decision.

For me, when I procrastinate it's when I'm overwhelmed and I already have a lot on my plate (which most of the time I do). I kind of just throw my hands up and go on strike type of thing. I guess that sounds like a child folding their arms and refusing to do what their told. heehee
I use to stress out over everything because I wanted it all done perfectly, and no one else could do it better than I can. I gave that up after my second child
I'm not a perfectionist...but I know a few. I try to prioritize and I even spend quiet time in prayer before I tackle the thing that needs to be taken care of. Its amazing how God can help us even with the little things. After time in prayer I get a peace over me and I can decide what needs to be taken care of right then and there or if Gods drawing my attention to something else.
I notice if I ignore and procrastinate....I can become "not so nice" So spending time in prayer helps me big time.

Angelwings wrote:
For me, when I procrastinate it's when I'm overwhelmed and I already have a lot on my plate (which most of the time I do).

Yeah, like laundry.