Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Destine

Advice for first job interview

I just wanted some helpful tips for my job interview: My interview was for today, but she misunderstood me and thought I didn't finish my application when I did. So, my 'official' one will be on Wednesday, the 17th. If anyone could offer me any advice that would be great!

Hello, Destine -

I used to do a lot of interviewing of people your age getting their first jobs, and I can tell you a few things from the employer's perspective...well, at least from my own. :)

I always appreciated an applicant that was on time. Punctuality is your first impression before you even get to make a first impression. Don't be late! Also, don't arrive too early, either. A lot of employers have things planned before your interview and know just how much time is necessary to wrap them up before you arrive...so, don't be too early.

Dress/look appropriate. Again, first impressions are a big deal. What is acceptable is going to vary based upon the job. For many first jobs, you don't have to go overboard with dressy clothes. However, don't be too casual, either. Jeans are out for just about any interview. Piercings and rainbow hair were also a no-go for us. Take a look at others who work there and try to come close. Obviously, if the employer supplies uniforms you won't be wearing that...but you can observe other aspects of the employees' presentation.

Show interest. You don't have to act as if this job will satisfy your passions in life, but I've had many a candidate that was obviously there because their parents wanted them to get a job, while they would rather not. Another part of expressing interest is asking specific questions about the position you're interested in. It's ok to ask questions related to what the employers expectations of you will be so that you understand what it is you are agreeing to. Stay away from questions too focused on what the company will do for you. A good example is asking about how often you'll get to be off of work, like for holidays and working weekends, etc. :)

Since you've already made it to the interview stage, it's safe to say that you're probably available enough to meet the company's needs. When looking through applications, the hours that the person was available (the wider the range, the better) is what determined whether they even got a phone call. During your interview, if you realize that you're actually more available than you originally suggested, those are certainly bonus points. On the flip side, I hired some people who restricted their availability a short time after being hired, which is a great disservice to the employer. If you plan to be involved in something within at least the first half a year of your employment, it's best to be upfront about it.

Basics for the interview itself involve eye-contact (not starring, though), self-confidence, a positive attitude, and preparedness. Have an answer to each of their questions, even if you need to take a second to think of one. "I don't know," is not good. Even a less-than-stellar answer is better than no answer at all. On that note, you can expect to be asked some universal interview questions such as:

"Tell me about yourself."
"Where do you see yourself in such-and-such a time in the future?"
"Why are you interested in This Position/This Company?"
"What sorts of skills or experiences do you have to offer?" Think about personality traits, too - maybe you're really organized. Maybe you're a good multi-tasker. Maybe a problem-solver. Perhaps you're really good at resolving conflict...

And, of course...

"Tell me why I should hire you." That's also a good sign that the interview is almost over....usually...unless they lead with that question!

Finally, thank the interviewer for their time and the opportunity to meet with them. Many times (but not always) you'll know before you leave if you've made it to the next step.

Oh yes...I almost forgot. Don't be surprised if you interview with more than one person at a time. I've been on both sides of a panel interview, and more people can be intimidating. If that's the case, direct your attention at whomever is asking the question, but take opportunities to make eye contact with others as you answer.

Whew...sorry for the long-windedness. Hopefully this helps you.
Blessings,
-Mark

Absolutely great post, Mark!

I would like to only add one thing: as you do your part in the natural, relax and expect God to do His part in the supernatural!

Blessings!