Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deborah

Death did not win today

Last night I was mowing grass and I saw a bird that got stuck in the netting I put over our fruit trees.  In past years the birds had taken every piece of fruit off our trees and I was trying to prevent that this year. I was very sad because the bird had died.

Today I was walking past the garden and I heard a distressed sound.  Sure enough.  Another bird had gotten caught.  But this one was still alive--barely.  As I quickly unraveled the bird from the netting I saw his eyes.  They were half closed and it looked like he was dying.  I pulled the netting off his head from around his neck.  The bird lay limp in my hand.  I stroked the little bird, an immature robin that still had specks on his breast.  " You shall live and not die," I said.  "You shall live and not die!". Slowly the robin opened his eyes.  He raised his body up in my hand.  I could feel life come back into him.  Then, way sooner than I could have imagined, Mr. Robin flew out of my hand toward the lilac bushes.  

I'm trying to decide if I should just take all the netting off my fruit trees and allow the birds to have a fruit buffet, but for one bird at least, death didn't win today.

Amen!! Is this real life or is this a story. If it's real, you are a great writer. I felt like I was reading a book or a devotional.

hee hee

Thank you, Cholette! Yes, this really happened yesterday and today. I have a desire to write a book someday:)